Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
dont know what will happen to it. but i think Elop will do anything to stop it from being a success phone as he did with N9. Will be interesting to see 2nd quarter 2012 results by comparing Symbian and WP.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
My reasons are first the camera, next the hyped audio recording and audio quality (N8 had amazing audio quality via 3.5mm), HDMI out with 1080p. Nice to see how will the Nokia Big screen work paired with that 1080p HDMI out.

Belle/Symbian is by no means my favorite OS anymore, but it looks to be way, way more smoother than before looking at the videos. Settings, camera (probably best camera UI i have ever seen) and the widget screens manage to even look elegant and work smoothly.
Reminds me that Nokia was demoing using a bluetooth mouse (never mind a keyboard) to play Angry Birds on a Symbian phone hooked up to a TV while Android needed third party apps just to get a keyboard working (and apparently still do, if you want to type in anything but English. Seriously, it seems Google is not taking the capabilities of Bluetooth seriously even with ICS as i can use it for more on my N800 than on my recent Toshiba Thrive/AT100).

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Ok, Its your money. nokia moving on and dont even launch it world wide so thats how much they care. To me the N8 is a better bet.
It doesn't matter so much in this case, as Belle is feature-packed and very stable. In that respect, it's very different from the N9.

The N8 is great value for camera enthusiasts, but is likely to be left behind when it comes to Belle updates. It will get some of the application updates, but not the full OS updates. For those that don't need a great camera, the 701 is probably better value than an N8, as it's confirmed as receiving the FP1 update.

My website

GitHub

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
dont know what will happen to it. but i think Elop will do anything to stop it from being a success phone as he did with N9. Will be interesting to see 2nd quarter 2012 results by comparing Symbian and WP.
You are speaking the truth. My friend, a reporter at a local tech magazine, having heard of this ground-breaking phone, requested Nokia to borrow them for a couple of hours for them to write a first-hand review on it.

After a considerable waiting they received a Lumia phone with message like "this phone has the next best camera and you can write a review on it...you may keep it as long as you can..."

Speechlessly, my friend had to write review on 808 by articles from the internet instead. That Lumia has left in his office unopened.

Nokia is so desperately to shovel Lumia into customers' mouths. Not that I think Lumia is bad, as I haven't tried it; but it is funny to see how desperate they want to promote their Windows phones.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
You are speaking the truth. My friend, a reporter at a local tech magazine, having heard of this ground-breaking phone, requested Nokia to borrow them for a couple of hours for them to write a first-hand review on it.

After a considerable waiting they received a Lumia phone with message like "this phone has the next best camera and you can write a review on it...you may keep it as long as you can..."

Speechlessly, my friend had to write review on 808 by articles from the internet instead. That Lumia has left in his office unopened.

Nokia is so desperately to shovel Lumia into customers' mouths. Not that I think Lumia is bad, as I haven't tried it; but it is funny to see how desperate they want to promote their Windows phones.
Dude if that is true then Nokia gave epic fail a new meaning.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zoxir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
Dude if that is true then Nokia gave epic fail a new meaning.
As a matter of fact if they really want to sell Lumia, simple, just lower its price to the level comparable to HTC and Sony's. There is an immense smartphones needs for the market segment with people who want smartphones but don't really know what smartphone is.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
nokia 808 is the target of the biggest(by far) daily interest on gsm arena currently so it will probably outsell all wp devices put together(not just nokias but all wp devices)

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
As a matter of fact if they really want to sell Lumia, simple, just lower its price to the level comparable to HTC and Sony's. There is an immense smartphones needs for the market segment with people who want smartphones but don't really know what smartphone is.
Yeah people want smartphones and cheap ones but people do not want MS Windows Phails no matter what the price. They have been handing them for free (google droidrage if you're not familiar with the case) and noone cared.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
I don't understand the hate on Symbian.. Guys have you actually seen Belle FP1?? It's freakin' fast!!! Yes, it doesn't have Swipe UI.. But it's really is fast and fluid! It's really amazing!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post

Like i said Nokia needs Symbian, it's still where all the smartphone sales are coming.

You need to remember that the MeeGo was the youngster that was never developed till the end before WP was taken as the main smartphone platform in Nokia.
While i would have wanted MeeGo to be with WP i can see the thinking behind killing it totally and making it clear to all devs and whatnot that WP is the one and only direction Nokia is going rather than pouring money to won project and still maintaining WP.

Symbian is different. There's already clear timeline that the OS will be killed by 2016. Nokia will want/need all sales it can get from Symbian in that time frame.
It not being sold in US was announced last year as Weber already told that it wont be marketing other than WP phones in USA. What makes sense as no carrier would have ever picked Symbian phone in USA and Nokia gets heavily criticized in there for still using Symbian. While people don't there seem to get what kind of position Symbian still holds.