Notices

Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Sorry, i was unclear, I meant of this requested icons:
- country available on device
- country requested for download
- country or region (used in the list while country is not requested or available)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2016 @ Yekaterinbourg, Russia
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Thanks for the summary. I should really keep my gob shut until I gather all the information. I got clearly confused

My preferences:

Except now that I see them all resized to the same width, I would probably reduce the thickness of the triangle outline.
Yes, I agree

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to XOleg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I really like the three flags idea. The only question is which flag goes on top

According to various sources, Mandarin is the most common language, followed by Spanish and English. So flags in that order would be the most politically correct. But do we actually have a Mandarin translation?

One could also take into account the aesthetics. German, French, Russian, Indian and many other countries' flags look similar when expressed in shades of grey. They are all made out of three horizontal stripes of different colours. Chinese would look distinctive on top but really bad in the background. Spanish is somewhere in the middle in that regard.

English is generally regarded as the "universal" language and is often used as the default if a specific language is not available so it would make sense to put the British flag on top, then Spanish, then Russian/French/Indian three-colour stripe at the back. Not to indicate any kind of political affiliation, just for the pure aesthetic effect. The three stripes would stand out at the back more than two stripes.

Or you can reverse the order: Spanish first, then the tricolor, then British at the back. It is distinctive enough to stand out even at the back and would also convey the message that it is the default backup language.
Or maybe: 1 - white, 2 - gray, 3 - black? just as a flag symbols. Only whites it's not good, imho :-)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to XOleg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by XOleg View Post
Or maybe: 1 - white, 2 - gray, 3 - black? just as a flag symbols. Only whites it's not good, imho :-)
Agreed. The simplest solutions are often the best.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
hmmmm....
rinigus asked for this icons:
- country available on device
- country requested for download
- country or region (used in the list while country is not requested or available)

First one is clear to me, and I think the icon I made is fitting well. Also the second one left no questions to me, but the difference between the second and the third one is (especially after the further explanation of rinigus) not that clear to me. Maybe someone can help me a little bit with telling me what's the difference and if there has to be a different Icon, and how it could look like. I will try to implement that then.
2 - shown in map manager when you subscribed to country, but haven't downloaded yet

3 - shown in map manager for countries that are available, but you haven't subscribed for them.

[sorry for quick reply, getting late over here]

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by XOleg View Post
You mean like that?
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip Language2.zip (1.5 KB, 8 views)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
2 - shown in map manager when you subscribed to country, but haven't downloaded yet

3 - shown in map manager for countries that are available, but you haven't subscribed for them.

[sorry for quick reply, getting late over here]
Short but clearly understandable
That doesn't makes it easier! Maybe like that:

2:

3:
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
You mean like that?
Yes :-)

But as for the white flag, maybe remove it from the foreground? It would be better or not?

Last edited by XOleg; 2019-04-30 at 09:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XOleg For This Useful Post:
[...]Maybe like that: [...]
IMO, these two icons and the three flags icon (for language selection) are basically fine now, but there is definitely still some room for improvements:
  • The top flag being completely white does not really resemble a flag. As you already noticed, many flags consist of three, equally sized, horizontal stripes; using that scheme for the top flag (e.g., white at the top, dark gray in the middle, light gray at the bottom) will more likely look like a flag on first sight.
  • There is a dent in the top horizontal line of the folder symbol in icon 3 (the "download languages" one), at about a fourth of its horizontal span at the right side: That line "jumps" slightly up vertically.
    But the reason seems to be that the first part of that line (i.e., its first fourth horizontally) is not absolutely horizontal, instead pointing slightly downwards.
  • Similarly, the left span of the top horizontal line of the folder symbol in icon 2 (the "installed languages" one), seems to also point slightly downwards.
HTH

Last edited by olf; 2019-04-30 at 11:28.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Thanx for the feedback, I know that the last one wasn't really pretty, That's the reason I didn't upload a svg for that yet.
I just wanted to know, if the icons are acceptable. When I know which icons we'll use, I will do a clean job and harmonize the icons (line thickness e.g.) and upload a complete and proper made set.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:

Tags
geocoder, linux, offline maps, router, sailfish os, tiles