Hey guys I found a pretty cool article written just today regarding one user's experience with the N900. You can can find it here http://www.unwiredview.com/2009/10/1...te-about-n900/

Pretty interesting especially considering he's still using a pre-release device, and apparently not the final model.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sweden
I got my N900 at Maemo Summit and I must say I am extremely satisfy with the phone, I compare it with my old Nokia E75. Of course there are things to improve, but I love my N900.

3. Small icons with big “Close” fields in ‘Desktop setup” mode.
Isn't that what the stylus is helpful for... for precision?

4. Not enough desktop panels, or space on them.
It'd be nice to add more.. but yesh.. I think having for is a huge upgrade from say the limiting # of widgets you can put on the N97 or any other phone with a similar setup.

6. Which brings us the problem of general lack of apps for the device.
Yeah... until we all get them in our hands to develop with.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Just a few notes:

1. Portrait mode. Yes. Drink !

2. Mixed emotions. Desktops don't do this either. Showing passwords can be fun when you have video-out enabled

3. Never was a problem for me. There seems to be some heuristics going on, so you just aim for the lower left corner to drag and you'll be ok

4. Usage pattern. Whether you run into this problem depends of how use stuff. If you activate every possible widget and put dozens of contacts on the desktop, then yes, that's what you get (I wonder what he was doing on the N8x0s ?). Even more desktops are a limited solution as already I do a lot of flipping until I find the one which I'm looking for

5. Wait for Maemo Mapper/next Ovi version/etc

6. Complaining about lack of software for a unit that is not available to the general public and is known to be primarily supported by independent developers is kind of silly (seriously, dude...). Also, official Qt won't help symbian applications to get to Maemo as there IS NO significant amount of symbian Qt apps at this point.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ciaomatteo View Post
Isn't that what the stylus is helpful for... for precision?
True true but when using the device as a smartphone I would say I must agree with him...in terms of usability.

One other thing I agree with is the portrait mode...however int he end I still KNOW that he doesn't have the final release software or the final release hardware. But it is still interesting to know all of this or the device we are all obsessing over, not that that's a bad thing obsession is good.

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
no clock on stand-by screen -1
no missed calls/sms on standby screen -1
unlocking button on the wrong place -1
no google maps/ovi 3.0 -1

rest = nagging/impatience

won't maps.google.com work in internet browser?

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago/D.C./Katowice
the author doesnt seem to be very bright

The Following User Says Thank You to UCOMM For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
"Fortunately, Nokia N900 provides a possibility to lock the handset after certain amount of time. And it works pretty well.
Except for one thing. When you want to check what’s happening on N900 after it’s locked, all you get is the screen with a keypad to enter the unlock code."

so he wants his device to be securely locked when it gets stolen, and then complains he can't look at the time quickly? somehow this strikes me as odd...

the reviewer doesn't make it clear whether there are 2 "locked" states - keylock and device lock. in the former you can quickly look at the time the same way you'd do it with any other phone, the latter isn't supposed to be a quick way.
though i don't have a device yet... can anyone confirm that there are 2 distinct types of device-locking?

also, that site has WAY too many ads on it. i mean, 3x google ads right next to each other before the article even starts? come on...

Originally Posted by lefteyecc View Post
True true but when using the device as a smartphone I would say I must agree with him...in terms of usability.

One other thing I agree with is the portrait mode...however int he end I still KNOW that he doesn't have the final release software or the final release hardware. But it is still interesting to know all of this or the device we are all obsessing over, not that that's a bad thing obsession is good.
lol remember it's a mobile computer to Nokia and a phone second.

There are plenty of other smartphones that have a stylus I don't think this is any different other than that you got such a dynamic environment to use. So excited! It definitely is a difficult task to satisfy everyone which is why I think this is where the stylus is a helpful aid and quick solution (because it's been done before) without delving to far into it. Now... they could offer an option to resize icons... or they can spend some time thinking about less precise ways of manipulating icon positions for the degree of imprecision that MIGHT be there because I don't think a lot of people will want to spend time thinking about which part of their finger touches the screen first to trigger a click/touch.

Take the iPhone/iPod Touch for instance. Pretty hard to be precise sometimes. Worse yet, no stylus for the times you want to be really precise. So they spent a lot of brain cycles thinking of an intuitive way to move icons on their screen by having no (x) to mistakenly press.

Originally Posted by SubCore View Post

"Fortunately, Nokia N900 provides a possibility to lock the handset after certain amount of time. And it works pretty well.
Except for one thing. When you want to check what’s happening on N900 after it’s locked, all you get is the screen with a keypad to enter the unlock code."

so he wants his device to be securely locked when it gets stolen, and then complains he can't look at the time quickly? somehow this strikes me as odd...

the reviewer doesn't make it clear whether there are 2 "locked" states - keylock and device lock. in the former you can quickly look at the time the same way you'd do it with any other phone, the latter isn't supposed to be a quick way.
though i don't have a device yet... can anyone confirm that there are 2 distinct types of device-locking?

also, that site has WAY too many ads on it. i mean, 3x google ads right next to each other before the article even starts? come on...
lol he likes to stir up some subjective and controversial points so that he can get more views so that he can get more ad views so that he can earn a revenue on the plethora of ads he has on the site.

Let's just ignore this article and move on. lol jk...

Last edited by ciaomatteo; 2009-10-15 at 15:29.

Well yes ciao you are right that it is a mobile computer first.

Please remember I honestly doubt we could really take this as a "review". The final device is not out yet. We can just take from his experience and add it to our knowledge to see what else we can expect from this device. Isn't that what we want?

Also the final device is not that far away correct?