Active Topics

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ikerrg View Post
Why this command is not part of the official package?
(Note, for context: hwclock -s)
Don't know. I guess real hackers don't give a sh*t about timestamps

I am thinking on installing backupmenu also to get the rootfs backup feature. However, if you think I can do it with re recovery console, please, tell me the commands to backup rootfs and ext3 partitions to files in the microSD card. I've been trying to use the "dd" command "dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/media/mmc1/ext3.bin" but I cannot mount the microSD and mmcblk0 is not known by the recovery console. I'm not a Linux expert, so I need help for this.
I've never actually tried that myself, but you can always have a look at backupmenu (BackupMenu.item) and see what/how it does it (the code is a mess, that's why I don't like/use it).

Basically, you mount the rootfs somewhere, then mount the sd card somewhere, and then you use tar,

**** UNTESTED, written by hand, DO NOT USE, I REPEAT, DO NOT USE ****

Code:
# mount rootfs
mkdir /tmp/mnt_rootfs
mount -t ubifs ubi0_0 /tmp/mnt_rootfs

# mount sd
mkdir /tmp/mnt_sd
mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /tmp/mnt_sd
 (use -t vfat or -t ext3 or whatever if automatic doesn't work)
 (use mmcblk1pX where X is the partition on your sd)

# create image
cd /tmp/mnt_rootfs
tar cf /tmp/mnt_sd ./
 (*** see below ***)

# umount rootfs and sd
umount -t ubifs
umount /tmp/mnt_sd
*** NOTE on TAR: backupmenu uses gnu-tar instead of busybox-tar. It also uses a number of options (ignore-failed-read, numeric-owner) which may or may not be relevant.

The good thing about doing this yourself, manually, is that you can see if tar complains about anything.

Good luck!
(and report if you actually do this)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Pali,

I just remembered that I had one question when I first read this:

Would it be possible to build a kernel without the twl4030_wdt module? (neither built-in nor as a module).

Would this mean that the HW watchdog would just do nothing, or would it still reboot the machine because nobody's talking to it?

For safety reasons I now run my N900s always with R&D mode enabled, so this is not really a problem, but it would be nice if the kernel would disable (or "not enable") the watchdog in any case.

(Obviously I'm not requesting this be implemented in kernel-power, because there will be people who for some reason want the watchdog enabled, but I just want to know if you know what happens when you remove -- completely --the module from the kernel).
If watchdog is enabled, you must disable it or periodically reset timeout. Otherwise, it reboot device.

If R&D mode is disabled NOLO enable watchdog (and system must take care about it).

When twl4030_wdt is compiled as module and is not loaded - it is same situation as kernel with disabled module.

But there is way how to disable watchdog. Need to load twl4030_wdt module with param nowayout=0 and then change timeout to 0.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
OK, so it is NOLO enabling the watchdog. Thanks for the information!

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Had an issue with Recovery console, might be a problem related to watchdog.

Device recently flashed to stock.
Installed the following packages (and it's dependencies):
  • u-boot-flasher
  • kernel-power-flasher
  • kernel-power-bootimg

Booting with keyboard opened shows U-Boot menu, select Kernel Power. It works.

Now install:
  • rootsh
  • kernel-power-settings
  • qcpufreq

In QCPUFreq, enable Smart Reflex, overclock to 805 MHz. No problems, so far.

Now install:
  • bootmenu
  • recovery-boot

Power up with keyboard opened, Bootmenu starts and shows proper entries. If I boot into Maemo, it works, bu if I boot Recovery Console, it works for just a few seconds (~= 10 seconds) and then powers off.

The Following User Says Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
@ivgalvez: have you ever enabled R&D mode via flasher-3.5? If not, then this is know problem and will be fixed in next bootmenu version.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Hi Pali, as far as I remember I have never enabled R&D via flasher-3.5, but is there any way to check it for sure?

@ivgalvez: yes, look into CAL partition if there is r&d string. also check if you have cordump file in / (which can be generated by bootmenu watchdog daemon). daemon crashing if r&d string is not in CAL. As I wrote this problem is fixed and will be in next bootmenu relase...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pali View Post
@ivgalvez: yes, look into CAL partition if there is r&d string. also check if you have cordump file in / (which can be generated by bootmenu watchdog daemon). daemon crashing if r&d string is not in CAL. As I wrote this problem is fixed and will be in next bootmenu relase...
No strings, no cores, so it's definitively the already known bug. Thanks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:

Tags
console, console-mode, framebuffer, recovery, recovery-mode