Hei! I'm alive, i thought the deadline was sunday night.
I was planning to beta test a little the new functionalities of meeTrainer before pushing out a rev 0.2, which would be also the revision i would like to use for the competition.
The other app is instead finished, so i could probably submit today, if that's preferred.
I was planning to do it by email. Is it better to use the webpage?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paoletto For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by paoletto View Post
Hei! I'm alive, i thought the deadline was sunday night.
Don't worry paoletto, you're right - it is The deadline is midnight on Sunday, but that's in UTC time so it could vary by timezone. I wish I had a link to a fancy countdown clock.

I was planning to beta test a little the new functionalities of meeTrainer before pushing out a rev 0.2, which would be also the revision i would like to use for the competition.
The other app is instead finished, so i could probably submit today, if that's preferred.
I was planning to do it by email. Is it better to use the webpage?
Cool, we definitely want stuff tested well Glad to hear you're still planning on submitting them, either emailing or using the webpage is fine - whatever is handiest for you

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Winchester, UK
I asked this earlier in the thread but I got different answers from different people....can someone give me a definitive answer?

Originally Posted by jonquark View Post
As I understand the proposed rules, apps which we've started (even if they aren't in the Ovi store/apps.formeego.org yet) aren't likely to be eligible?

I've a vested interest in that rule being relaxed so I could submit grrok.

At the moment that app (and some others around, aren't "existing community apps" as no finished version exists but they were created after the competition was announced but before submissions were allowed.
In my case, I put an alpha version of Grrok on my website shortly before the competition started... but it should be appearing in the Ovi Store "any day now".

It's not really an update to an "existing app" but it's not been developed entirely in the competition timeframe (I was too keen and started after the competition was announced without realising there was going to be a start date in the future).

Which category should I put it in? New app or update?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonquark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 55 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by leon.anavi View Post
I have some exiting news about MoGateway: Oytun Şengül from MeeGo Turkey kindly translated it to Turkish so I'll wrap a new deb and shortly after that I'll submit it to the competition
Hi All,

I built a new release of MoGateway and submitted it for validation at Nokia Store.

Kojacker should have received my submission of MoGateway to the Network & Communications category.

Until MoGateway version 1.0.2 is approved and published at Nokia Store it will be available for download from my web page:
http://anavi.org/meego/mogateway_1.0.2_armel.deb

location2sms 2.1.8 which also takes part in the competion is also available on my personal site:
http://anavi.org/meego/location2sms_2.1.8_armel.deb

I'll be on a short trip to the seaside with friends so I won't be able to publish any updates until Sunday when the competition ends. I have a lot of fun making open source apps and it is real pleasure for me to take part in the MeeGo Coding Competitions! I hope that you find my apps useful

Good luck to all participants!

Cheers,
Leon

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leon.anavi For This Useful Post:
I asked this earlier in the thread but I got different answers from different people....can someone give me a definitive answer?

In my case, I put an alpha version of Grrok on my website shortly before the competition started... but it should be appearing in the Ovi Store "any day now".

It's not really an update to an "existing app" but it's not been developed entirely in the competition timeframe (I was too keen and started after the competition was announced without realising there was going to be a start date in the future).

Which category should I put it in? New app or update?
Sorry jonquark, I must have missed your original message somewhere earlier in the thread.

It feels a little unfair but, as you had an alpha version of Grrok on your website before the competition started, I'm afraid that sounds like already released software. I can see from your Grrok announce thread that, as you said, it wasn't long before the competition started (it's dated 05-24-12) and also there was another release only a week before the competition started "06-04-12 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Grrok v0.1.1 released - can now get more items for a feed"

Your application has fallen into a bit of a grey area. We have no idea when anyone truly starts work on an application, only when the first release comes around. That's why you'll have seen us talking about the 'first release' a lot in earlier posts. Personally, I don't consider sharing a bit of code as the first release but when you have something functionally complete and built and are sharing that then really you pretty much have released software. I don't know a lot about your application, but from my own software development experience an alpha release is something I feel is complete and is going through testing in the view of releasing. In that case, there probably wouldn't be significant enough work done during the competition time frame.

Without knowing further details, I would suggest "Updates.." if there are some new functionality or features added since that alpha release. That's what we'd ask the forum users to judge on.

Originally Posted by leon.anavi View Post
Hi All,

I built a new release of MoGateway and submitted it for validation at Nokia Store.

Kojacker should have received my submission of MoGateway to the Network & Communications category.
Thanks Leon, yep already got it

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-09-05 at 18:35.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Your application has fallen into a bit of a grey area. We have no idea when anyone truly starts work on an application, only when the first release comes around. That's why you'll have seen us talking about the 'first release' a lot in earlier posts. Personally, I don't consider sharing a bit of code as the first release but when you have something functionally complete and built and are sharing that then really you pretty much have released software. I don't know a lot about your application, but from my own software development experience an alpha release is something I feel is complete and is going through testing in the view of releasing. In that case, there probably wouldn't be significant enough work done during the competition time frame.

Without knowing further details, I would suggest "Updates.." if there are some new functionality or features added since that alpha release. That's what we'd ask the forum users to judge on.
Hmm, that surprises me a bit.
Because for me I understood that the submission time is 3 months, and you can enter any application as new which did not exist before the last competition. I am basing this mainly because it is called "this years competition".

If I understood this wrong, I am sorry and will change my submitted apps to updates, even they did not exist yet at the time of the 2011 competition.
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by caco3 View Post
Hmm, that surprises me a bit.
Because for me I understood that the submission time is 3 months, and you can enter any application as new which did not exist before the last competition. I am basing this mainly because it is called "this years competition".

If I understood this wrong, I am sorry and will change my submitted apps to updates, even they did not exist yet at the time of the 2011 competition.
Thanks caco3, you have saved me from sending you an embarrassing email at a later time (I'm making my way through each of the entries to verify details but it's taking time )

But I'm glad we can address this now though I'm afraid it is for applications released during the time frame of the competition, not for any released since last year's competition - sorry for any surprise and confusion

I'm lucky everyone is so honest

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-09-05 at 18:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Winchester, UK
It feels a little unfair but, as you had an alpha version of Grrok on your website before the competition started, I'm afraid that sounds like already released software.
D'oh - thanks for the speedy clarification Kojacker! I'll know for the next Jolla Coding competition

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonquark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Thanks caco3, you have saved me from sending you an embarrassing email at a later time (I'm making my way through each of the entries to verify details but it's taking time )

But I'm glad we can address this now though I'm afraid it is for applications released during the time frame of the competition, not for any released since last year's competition - sorry for any surprise and confusion

I'm lucky everyone is so honest
Well, actually I think it is a bit sad, because it means that 2 of my 3 submissions actually are not allowed in the competition because I did not do any work on them in the last 3 months.
How ever because I spent a lot of time on them in the last 10 months, I thought they still would be allowed.

Good software development doesn’t just fit into 3 months but is a process.
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
D'oh - thanks for the speedy clarification Kojacker! I'll know for the next Jolla Coding competition
Jonquark, my feelings are with you. I missed the Beginners section at the first coding competition only by a single week. This will always happen, there must be at some point a line. Some are in, some are out. But it is always a good learning project to do some mobile development. Nobody knows if you will need this skills at some point in the future of your work life. So nobody will lose in such a competition and don't forget, also in the Updates section are prizes possible.

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas