Hi,
I am a new N800 user, that will arrive next week. I am full of doubts, and would highly appreciate some help from this forum.

My first issue is about a 16GB SDHC memory card that I am buying for the N800 (the card will work, right?). I've read that I must format it as FAT16/32. Problem is that I do really need to use (thousands) of symbolic links... May I format the card as EXT2 or EXT3?

Thanks a lot!!

L.

Yes, your 16 SDHC should work (assuming it follows industry standards which it should).

You don't need to format it as FAT16/32 (I think).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Yup, you don't unless you want to read it in Windows (though there are ext2/3 drivers for windows too).

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
You can format it as ext2/3, will work just fine, but you may have to touch a couple of scripts for it to mount/umount automatically.

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA

The Following User Says Thank You to nhanquy For This Useful Post:
Great! FAT fs are limited and unreliable. I will partition it as EXT3 then.

One more question (as I told you, I have many....): I have a 64GB pen drive that want to attach to the N800. Can it also be formated as EXT3?

Thanks to all that replied!!!
Cheers,
Luis.

Last edited by luis; 2009-04-03 at 02:45.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Sounds okay.

There's another thing about ext3 though. Its kernel modules are not loaded by default if I remember correctly.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The latest OS 2008 has no problems with ext3. I formatted a memory card with ext3 and was able to use it on the tablet without having to load any driver modules manually. Automatic mounting / unmounting went fine, too.
There's really no reason to use FAT32 on your memory cards, unless you want to be able to read the card on non-Linux systems.
Of all filesystems that are around today, FAT is definitely one of the worst and most unreliable.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
I think I would've switched to ext2 already if it weren't for the fact that the once in a while time I'm in Windows I couldn't copy anything to it over SSH. (I don't trust the programs that can read ext2/3 partitions since they don't support journaling and aren't updated).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
The latest OS 2008 has no problems with ext3. I formatted a memory card with ext3 and was able to use it on the tablet without having to load any driver modules manually. Automatic mounting / unmounting went fine, too.
There's really no reason to use FAT32 on your memory cards, unless you want to be able to read the card on non-Linux systems.
Of all filesystems that are around today, FAT is definitely one of the worst and most unreliable.
It may be mounting as ext2, unless you force it with "mount -t ext3"
For automount to work right, I had to modify linuxrc in initfs to change the order in which the filesystem modules are loaded, because the way busybox's mount works it was mounting ext3 as ext2.
For it to work right, line 10 of linuxrc should read:
FS_MOUDLES="mbcache jdb ext3 ext2"

Even did a bug report with patch included, which of course was ignored.

Last edited by maacruz; 2009-04-03 at 15:29.