Active Topics

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
.vault is not a subdirectory of .local
both are in /home/nemo
Yes, i know. I don't use .vault. Only care about whats in ~/.local or ~/.config and ~/.cache occasionally. Sorry for this confusion.

The Following User Says Thank You to veeall For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
I see. Therefore I have < 30MB uncompressed

I love complaining without actually knowing how it works.
know what?
only 6 months ago, when my N900 was still functioning (USB port...) i would have completely agreed with you
now i had for a little over two months the NOKIA Lumia 1020 as my primary phone (wasn't going to use the Jolla for that, was i?)
yes, m$ LostDOS is even worth on a phone then on a computer (possibly because it's not so popular, thus less "hackers" are working on it...) BUT... i don't mind IT WORKS!
sometimes i write three sentences with only taping a dozen letters (thanks to the predictive keyboard)
not as geek as the N900 keyboard, but so much faster!
for the rest, NOKIA obviously had a big input on WP 8.x and the functionality is even better then the best we ever had from NOKIA (individual ring tone per contact to give but one example)
it's a pity NOKIA had to disappear for this to happen (certainly wasn't needed) but... again, it's the best NOKIA phone i ever had

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
The backup system in Jolla (The Vault) is based on git, therefore you can have 50 backups, but the files have just one copy per version.
Let's illustrate on photos:
If you make one backup in April, another in August (taking pictures in the meanwhile) and a third one in December (again, lots of pictures in between), then the size of the three backups combined will be the same as the size of the last (December) backup.
Of course, it is up to you how many backups you want to preserve (you can delete the rest), but complaining that Jolla saves all backups is beyond my understanding.

I'd call it smart, if anything.
smart? useless yes, but that has (again) nothing to do with the "git backup" but with the lousy way Jolla implemented it
(no restoration of wallpaper (there is even only ONE - seems they can't even do THAT) Wi-Fi networks and so on and so forth...)

going to try Veeall's tip, backing up .local & all that & see what comes out of it.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
if jolla call list app or message app is minimized to multi task menu as the latest view app then they are totally black in multi task menu. if they are minimized and not top left they are looking good in multi task menu. is this a bug or expected behaviour?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by w00t View Post
I set up http://piratepad.net/JollaFAQ (I avoid signing into anything Google related on my main browser nowdays)
Because you are concerned about your privacy? Well I am concerned. That is why I purchased a Jolla, because I did not want to give personal data to Google or Apple.

I believed since Jolla's Sailfish OS is based on Linux it would give me the freedom, privacy and security I am used to as Linux user.

However, after purchasing the phone I found out, that Jolla is even worse then Apple or Google. With iPhone or Android you can at least use e-mail and alarm clock without being forced to add an account.
I read your privacy policy and could not find any convincing purpose for this data collection madness.
I do not want to give you my personal data just for accessing the software repositories. Please, be better than Google and Apple and change your policies.

Please stop spying on us!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yminus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Just received Highscreen Alpha Rage 2 case i ordered for my jolla: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n4scagn77...g1bUJM2Ha?dl=0

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@Dave999, I can't reproduce it. My covers for all apps, including those you mention, stay the same regardless of the position on the home screen.

@Yminus, I could not agree more! I love the idea of the phone shipped as a blank sheet - in fact I would have prefered even fewer apps preinstalled - but the idea that you need to create an account... My first thoughts were exactly the same as yours.

@coderus, nice I would prefer a thinner case but I like yours too.

Last edited by pichlo; 2015-01-21 at 09:10. Reason: s/co ers/covers (damn on-screen keyboard!)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
well, @Yminus, @pichlo, how would you like to access email for example if you do not have a mail reader application...?

To install the application you need to download it from the store, and to download from store you need to have an account... capish?

If you do not like that, well you can always install Nemo on your device, and do without SFOS and the associated eyecndy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Yminus View Post
Because you are concerned about your privacy? Well I am concerned. That is why I purchased a Jolla, because I did not want to give personal data to Google or Apple.

I believed since Jolla's Sailfish OS is based on Linux it would give me the freedom, privacy and security I am used to as Linux user.

However, after purchasing the phone I found out, that Jolla is even worse then Apple or Google. With iPhone or Android you can at least use e-mail and alarm clock without being forced to add an account.
I read your privacy policy and could not find any convincing purpose for this data collection madness.
I do not want to give you my personal data just for accessing the software repositories. Please, be better than Google and Apple and change your policies.

Please stop spying on us!
Let's just take a minute and see what data you need to give up for a Jolla account (which you only need to access the store and post on TJC):
- username
- password

Oh. My. God. Outrageous!

That said, they should definitely do away with the Google tracking on their websites and use Piwik or something.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
To install the application you need to download it from the store, and to download from store you need to have an account... capish?
No capish. It's only a Jolla's choice that you need an account to access their repository. I did not need a store account to install anything on any of my Linux PCs or my Maemo phone.

Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Let's just take a minute and see what data you need to give up for a Jolla account (which you only need to access the store and post on TJC):
- username
- password
True, but it might be argued that there is a bigger difference between requiring nothing at all and requiring that than there is between requiring that and requiring that plus your full name, house number, shoe size and names of all your pets.

Last edited by pichlo; 2015-01-21 at 11:28.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ The Netherlands
As far as I can tell Jolla knows more about me than Nokia ever did.

If you bought your Jolla through their webstore they actually know your full name, adress etc. and linked the IMEI of the device to it. The same IMEI is linked to your Jolla account making the profile pretty complete.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to n900user259 For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience