Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
I have never used awesome before, but decided to give it a try based on Skry suggestion.

Out-of-the-box, it comes pre-configured to use Mod4 as its shortcut key, which usually maps to the windows key on the desktop, but is missing on the n900. The easiest fix is to edit .config/awesome/rc.lua and change Mod4 to Mod5, but I find this far from ideal as it makes the keyboard messier.
Due to the keyboard itself, it's pretty much impossible to get a tiling wm to behave easily, though there are few tricks. I'll write about those sometime in more detail, but for now, it is possible to get somewhat usable shortcuts using Fn+key combinations by disabling everything but the most essential ones, and using keys with symbols you don't need. It's also possible to modify keymap so you can move symbols to other keys or delete ones you don't need , "freeing" few buttons for wm. That's not very ideal though. There is also the idea of using camera button as modifier, not sure if it's (easily) possible though.

Currently, pretty much the only thing I tinker with N900 anymore is Awesome configuration aimed for touchscreen usage on devices without or limited hw keyboard. This in mind, I've been thinking of a kind of "command mode", which essentially would activate on one particular fn+key combination, from which you could just press a single key to perform the action wanted. If I ever have time to make any progress with the whole config, and get all of the ideas I have materialized, it'll be.. awesome

If someone knows how to improve the keyboard usage under e17, please share your tips.
Try adding more details to setxkbmap in command line, so it essentially is the same as in configuration file. Do you, btw, have the modified xkeyboard-config package installed?

It requires calibration to be usable
In any measure, I have no experience with weston, so please post your tips.
Here's udev rule for calibration:
https://github.com/archlinuxarm-n900...ibration.rules

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Hey,

Upon startup i receive a bunch of errors. The one I am interested in is:
rx51-audio rx51-audio: asoc: failed to init TLV320AIC34: -19
which leads to further errors.

[EDIT]: This might be because of:
Code:
 omap_i2c omap_i2c.2: controller timed out
I want to try and solve this bug. How do I go about doing so?

Thanks,
Ashish

Last edited by ashish; 2013-05-09 at 23:39.

Also, besides the fact that I now I have a newer kernel open OS versus an older kernel OS, what would one need Arch Linux on a tablet device for? I mean, people keep asking me the reason to get Arch running on a tablet versus an Android device or something.

What do you guys use Arch on N900 for? Or why did you think of using Arch on N900?

Thanks

Originally Posted by ashish View Post
Also, besides the fact that I now I have a newer kernel open OS versus an older kernel OS, what would one need Arch Linux on a tablet device for?
Erm, why you need a desktop/notebook real computer with some linux system, as opposed to Nokia 1100? Or, why you need a modern linux on desktop, instead of proprietary DOS, at all?

This question is quite ridiculous, and it's hard to explain it to people even requiring to ask. It would need a few educating sessions, about properly using computers all-together.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Upon startup i receive a bunch of errors. The one I am interested in is:
rx51-audio rx51-audio: asoc: failed to init TLV320AIC34: -19
which leads to further errors.

I want to try and solve this bug. How do I go about doing so?
It's because of the "no-one knows why hardware semi-randomly fails to initialize properly" issue talked over a few times, it's usually fixed by systemctl poweroff and booting again, and mostly manifests when you shutdown Maemo and boot to other OS with more recent kernel. No idea where to start looking, the usual suspects being u-boot and kernel.

Also, besides the fact that I now I have a newer kernel open OS versus an older kernel OS, what would one need Arch Linux on a tablet device for? I mean, people keep asking me the reason to get Arch running on a tablet versus an Android device or something.
I guess it counts as a hobby. I like doing stuff with my devices. I do my computing mostly on command line and probably way differently than the average Joe, so my expectations from OS are probably quite different too. There is probably lesser than zero reasons to install anything anywhere unless there is a will and/or reason to do it. In my case reasons probably are enthusiasm, curiosity and personal preference, experimenting. One of the ideals behind Arch Linux itself, is to provide modern, up-to-date, minimal base system from which you can make your system to be (almost) whatever you want it to be.

What do you guys use Arch on N900 for? Or why did you think of using Arch on N900?
I use it as a platform for few of my past time projects, like the awesome configuration mentioned earlier. It's also been a great learning experience about Linux in embedded/mobile devices.

In addition, I sometimes use it at work for few things, like carrying around installation media images, which I can conveniently boot straight from N900 by "exporting" them as usb-cdrom with g_mass_storage, occasional network testing, small stuff like that.

I'm a long time Arch user (though that's probably going to change soonish) and I just wanted to see my N900 run it, that's the main idea behind this.

I also thought it would be nice to provide a working, modern, lightweight and more importantly a real Linux base system for everyone interested in developing with mobile Linux.

Unfortunately it seems there's practically zero interest for such, and the general preference seems to be split in few camps: people trying to keep Fremantle alive with all of it's faults and wrongs, people wanting Ubuntu to run sh*t slow on their devices, and people wanting Android/Tizen/WebOS/Sailfish/Insert-something-new-that-wont-run-on-lower-end-devices-here. So, that leaves this project practically abandoned but at least there's quite a lot of groundwork done, in case someone actually starts doing something productive.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Skry View Post
Try adding more details to setxkbmap in command line, so it essentially is the same as in configuration file. Do you, btw, have the modified xkeyboard-config package installed?
Yes
Here's udev rule for calibration:
https://github.com/archlinuxarm-n900...ibration.rules
Thanks, I will try it.

First of all: Thank you, Skry, for all the work you've put in this!

I've always wanted to try somethin non-debianish, and well, i'm quiet impressed how easy it was to put arch on the n900.
It's alot easier and faster than my last try with ubuntu.

2nd (mostly addressed to caveman):
how did you get e17 running?
after i finish the quickstart wizard it segfaults and upon restart it complains about missing modules.
I'm currently trying to build it from AUR maybe this fixes the issues.

Originally Posted by teddydestodes View Post
2nd (mostly addressed to caveman):
how did you get e17 running?
after i finish the quickstart wizard it segfaults and upon restart it complains about missing modules.
I'm currently trying to build it from AUR maybe this fixes the issues.
It seems that today's upgrade to 0.17.2 broke it. Currently it segfaults on my n900 just after startx. So if you have not upgraded, be warned :-)

In the previous version it always segfaulted by the end of the wizard, but would load fine at the next try. It seems some illume stuff is missing, so I had to go with the desktop profile.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caveman For This Useful Post:
It seems that today's upgrade to 0.17.2 broke it. Currently it segfaults on my n900 just after startx. So if you have not upgraded, be warned :-)
Meh, but i want illume. thats my whole reason to try e17 :/

Originally Posted by teddydestodes View Post
Meh, but i want illume. thats my whole reason to try e17 :/
There seems to be a problem with illume in the arch build. The raspberry pi running arch has the same issue, but I remember it worked fine in ubuntu.