Hello.

I've done lots of reading and research, most of it before my 770 even arrived and just have a few points I'd like further clarification on before I plunge into the MMC boot world.

1) Can you only put the OS on MMC by copying it from internal flash or is there another way to go direct? If I want 2007 on my MMC then I would have use the nokia updater first, and then copy it out to MMC?

2) Can I have both 2006 and 2007 booting from MMC so I can benefit from the MMC speed kernel hack on both OSes?

3) On a 2GB Kingston MMC Mobile, what is the recommended partition strategy? If I choose not to have a vfat partition, there are still ways for me to copy things such as movies\music\pdf to the ext2 partition, correct? My understanding is that vfat is really only there to make it easy for USB transfers from PC. Correct me if I've missed something here.

So if I wanted to have both 2006 and 2007, should I just partition 2 x 1GB ext2 partitions? Will i miss having vfat? If i decide to keep 2007 on internal flash and 2006 on external, what would the ideal partitioning on MMC be in that case? I guess i'm just a bit confused on how people are sizing their vfat partition and why.

4) Just a few questions about Fanoush's kernel mods. 2.2006.39-14 with the MMC mod is what i want for 49-2 n700? After that I can flash with the Initfs mod to get boot menu? And the additional modules like cifs, nfs etc...do i flash each one individually or do they all come as one flashable package? I couldn't find a lot of information about the addon modules.

I know thats a lot of question. Any assistance and direction and greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
All four questions were already asked many times and I think someone even asked very same questions in single post just like you. Try searching this forum, 'booting' 'mmc' are good search terms.

quick answers:
1.no, yes
2. yes
3. search forum for details, vfat is easiest for data, no big reason to have data on ext2, system may be confused without fat partition
4. yes,yes, modules are in tar.gz just unpack anywhere and insmod what you need, maybe you don't need them at all

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

thanks fanoush. Where I'm at now is I've got 2007HE on internal flash, 2006 on MMC and a 500MB vfat partition. What I'd like to try now, is have both OSes on MMC.

So I'm still confused whether to use 2 smaller ext2 partitions and a large vfat that both OSes can share, or 2 equal sized ext2 partitions and no vfat? cant i just SCP\SFTP any files I want onto an ext2 partition? Can applications be installed on vfat, and if so, why are people making 1.5GB ext2 partitions? I'm stuck on this concept. Why not just make an ext2 large enough to hold the OS uncompressed and make the rest vfat?

cheers.