Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Hi,

I want simple answer to these questions not tweaks or workarounds.

Is default Gmail (not html version or mobile version) working on your N900?

Is Vimeo* working on your device? HD on / off?

I´m using 51-1 Fw. Default gmail hangs by saying that page loading stopped. Looks like javascript hangs and vimeo just works sometimes with hd off but still its slideshow. I have hosts file enabled so that could be the problem.

*Just remembered that they advertised this with picture on their main N900 webpage.

Last edited by slender; 2010-01-21 at 10:46.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
o idea about Vimeo but Googlemail page (not the basic HTML) works fine even over cell connection at 2.5G

Full default Gmail site works great here, not sure bout the other thing tho as iv not tried it.

Hi slender, Gmail (the main version, with cool graphics and lot of features) works, but do not expect anything special. I mean, you can read your mail and use features, but it has some problems in handling server request. E.g: if you press the Archive button for storing a mail in the Archive, it will appear stored, but next time you'll open Gmail you'll find out it is not. The HTML version works well, and of course the mobile version has no problem at all.
The best way for using online Gmail on your N900 is definitely the HTML version.

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Hardenberg
i use Gmail by web and in Modest, the stamdard Email app. The first is feature rich, no problems, but a bit slow. Modest is doiing very well, I chose it affter the update 1.1.

I wonder why gmail is not working for me. I disabled hosts file blocking and it still whines about script stopped responding and same time cpu hits high.

How do i reset microb completely? What happens if delete or rename .microb folder from mydocs?

.edit
hmm i have gmail labs features enabled inbox preview for example. Could be also that.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Is default Gmail (not html version or mobile version) working on your N900?

Is Vimeo* working on your device? HD on / off?
The full Gmail site loads fine and always has. That said, it's quite slow and a bit of a pain to use (unless you like using the stylus) so I've never done anything with it beyond opening a folder and opening an email. Can't comment on the other functionalities.

Vimeo videos have never worked on the N900. The video generally doesn't show up at all (and when it does, you get one frame every 5 seconds) and audio is very choppy.

In general, support for Flash videos on the N900 is very much a hit and miss affair with, in my experience, quite a few more misses than hits.

Of course, there's a bug for that but it's been closed and marked as WONTFIX in Maemo 5

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Los Angeles
The best version to use on the Nokia Tablets is the "Older version" -- it has most of the functionality of the regular site (not stripped down like the html version).
There should be a link at the bottom of the gmail page for "older version"

Here is the link:
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crenquis For This Useful Post:
I still like using the mobile version of Gmail on my N900 - looks bigger and better and easier to manage with fingers (don't have to take out the stylus).

http://mail.google.com/mail/x/gdlakb-/gp/

This is a good for reading - but you cant use advanced features on this.

The Following User Says Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by crenquis View Post
The best version to use on the Nokia Tablets is the "Older version" -- it has most of the functionality of the regular site (not stripped down like the html version).
There should be a link at the bottom of the gmail page for "older version"

Here is the link:
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=1
Thank you! This is really good compromise between different versions. I had to take preview inbox labs feature off before i managed to get this work.

.edit
damn..back to inbox button stopped working. It feels that all the function that have something to do with javas are bit flaky

Last edited by slender; 2010-01-21 at 17:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post: