Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the core idea of GNU\Open Source movement is to 'fight' the 'oppressive' closed source by making free (libre) alternatives to them?

Not by talking smack about what licenses other people\companies use or trying to control other people\entities to use specific licenses that WE want..

WTF is the base of the arguments here again?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brooksville, Florida
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the core idea of GNU\Open Source movement is to 'fight' the 'oppressive' closed source by making free (libre) alternatives to them?

Not by talking smack about what licenses other people\companies use or trying to control other people\entities to use specific licenses that WE want..

WTF is the base of the arguments here again?
You might have a point if Nokia released the specifications required to write alternate free software drivers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luke-Jr For This Useful Post:
@Luke-Jr: free software drivers to what components now?

If you fabricate your own hardware components, then you'd be responsible for its own driver.

If you don't, then you'll have to negotiate for the drivers with the hardware providers.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Luke-Jr View Post
You might have a point if Nokia released the specifications required to write alternate free software drivers.
No, he has a point even without that.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
I for example like the following applications and am very willing to pay someone a license fee for coding them for my upcoming N900, and do absolutely not care whether they are open or closed code:
We know Maemo 5 isn't the end of the line, and that certain parts of the platform are already slated to become supported only by the community in the future. Will you care then if something you rely on is broken by the Harmattan upgrade and the community can't fix it because it's closed?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
That's fair; it's an excessively crude characterisation. Nevertheless, there's basically a two-sided debate here, and I simply mean the people on the other side.
Very few here are in a polar position on the subject, and those who are tend to be solidly in the "no closed source at all" camp.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brooksville, Florida
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@Luke-Jr: free software drivers to what components now?

If you fabricate your own hardware components, then you'd be responsible for its own driver.

If you don't, then you'll have to negotiate for the drivers with the hardware providers.
If I buy the hardware, I have a right to use it. Nokia denies me those rights with the N810's GPS and battery charger. Providing me a broken (or even working) proprietary blob that can use the hardware is not equivalent to giving me the information required to use it myself.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luke-Jr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
If I buy the hardware, I have a right to use it. Nokia denies me those rights with the N810's GPS and battery charger.
*sigh*

Civics 101 is failing people. That isn't a right, it's a privilege.

But semantics aside, find a competitor who does better, and go with them. Solved.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-10-05 at 02:59.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
If I buy the hardware, I have a right to use it. Nokia denies me those rights with the N810's GPS and battery charger. Providing me a broken (or even working) proprietary blob that can use the hardware is not equivalent to giving me the information required to use it myself.
Wait, does any of the components in N900 doesn't 'work' out of the box? (Except for IR port, which just needs a package install).

Just check what features are advertised in the marketing materials (ads, product packaging, etc), and if what you want to do isn't listed there then it's safe to assume that it's not supported out of the box. Then you're free to choose any other products that may suit your needs better.

But I don't see the point to badger\whine\threaten about something that they haven't ever promised to do just because you assumed they would.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Access to the hardware concerns cannot be thrown away this simply...
It really sounds like this is now also bordering on the same type of discussion that can be found defective by design.

And we don't want Nokia to become the next Tivo!

We actually value a lot what they are doing with the FOSS community and that is why a lot of people are arguing in that direction and actually got here in the first place...

Some people also believe you own the hardware you buy and think this is part of a set of basic rights about access to information/knowledge that are going to be needed in the very near future.
As communication and information are going to be more and more mediated by electronic media/support, it's going to become the main exchange hub used from democratic discussion to commerce.

So no, you're not just going to go "shop elsewhere" as this is a much more important issue to many than having a trendy electronic item...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to R-R For This Useful Post:

Tags
balance, basic rights, defective by design, get your stink on, gpl holy crusade, open source, open source advocacy, sw wants to be free, try to correct an error, why isn't the gpl law?!, zealots be here