Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Houston doesn't have public transportation. That is a joke

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by alephito View Post
The same happens to me in Buenos Aires, Argentina, but when it calculates the route only gives walking time.

I do not know why Buenos Aires is listed in http://betalabs.nokia.com/node/52654?req=true
After further testing, I can confirm that Buenos Aires has train and subway information (without time tables).

With buses information it could be really useful.

One problem I find is that the app does not show where the stations are. You have to ask someone having a map and GPS in your hand.

Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
hong kong is not available for that

Posts: 292 | Thanked: 294 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Milan, Italy
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
I got transport information from Hamburg, see my previous post from Hauptbahnhof to Lindenstrasse. Again, no idea how complete it is. Can you tell here a route from a street to another street in Hamburg, and the results you got? I'll try the same combination and see what happens.
Try asking from Via Mecenate, Milan to Piazza del Duomo, Milan. There is tram line 27 that directly connects the two, but the app tells me I have to walk for 1:40h :P

The Following User Says Thank You to Watchmaker For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
alephito: After further testing, I can confirm that Buenos Aires has train and subway information (without time tables).
Now works here in Hamburg too. Didn't do anything different than yesterday...

But no buses and stations around are shown.

One problem I find is that the app does not show where the stations are. You have to ask someone having a map and GPS in your hand.
Just tap on that little map-symbol next to the station and nokia maps opens up.

With buses information it could be really useful.
Indeed...

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by Win7Mac View Post
Just tap on that little map-symbol next to the station and nokia maps opens up.
I only have that little symbol for my starting point and destination point. Not for intermediate points.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
According, to the app... It seems that from Pengangkutan Penumpang to Stasiun Jakarta Kota you need to start with a long 19m walk, then at Klender take Bekasi until Jatinegara, change to Kota-Jatigenara until Stasiun Jakarta Kota.

PS: alright, as you see I like to know about public transport in cities Please continue with the testing and try to find out why so many users say they could find about their cities when it seems to be there (how complete and accurate I don't know).
The main page explains that there's still MANY cities* that don't yet have time-table info. in the back-end.
http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia...t-for-nokia-n9
There is simple routing info. for a much larger sub-set of cities, perhaps that's what's confusing you.

*especially ones where the N9/S^3 is generally more prevalent.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-05-05 at 17:11. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by Watchmaker View Post
I see my city (Milan, Italy) in the aforementioned list, but every time I try to calculate a route I always get an error saying that my area is not covered...
For cities in that above list, the app returns Simple Routing, which means "...Simple routing uses the map data to calculate a heuristic route, based on the likely frequency of lines". In other words, if you go to http://maps.nokia.com/45.4755859,9.2...0,0,normal.day and click on the Bus icon to show the public transport on the maps you'll see tram/train lines.

This means, you'll be able to find routes on these lines on the app. Please see attached. Of course, if the map contains more transport services, like bus, ferries then these will be available as well.

The routes returned are not ideal or the most optimal, since the app can only work on the data it gets from maps, rather than using the data from the transit agency.

Please try again, and can you give us the details of the places you tried on the app?
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lenaye For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Houston doesn't have public transportation. That is a joke
Houston is a supported city. Can you try again? Which routes did you try the first time?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lenaye For This Useful Post:
Posts: 292 | Thanked: 294 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Milan, Italy
Originally Posted by lenaye View Post
For cities in that above list, the app returns Simple Routing, which means "...Simple routing uses the map data to calculate a heuristic route, based on the likely frequency of lines". In other words, if you go to http://maps.nokia.com/45.4755859,9.2...0,0,normal.day and click on the Bus icon to show the public transport on the maps you'll see tram/train lines.

This means, you'll be able to find routes on these lines on the app. Please see attached. Of course, if the map contains more transport services, like bus, ferries then these will be available as well.

The routes returned are not ideal or the most optimal, since the app can only work on the data it gets from maps, rather than using the data from the transit agency.

Please try again, and can you give us the details of the places you tried on the app?
This is what i get when trying to plan a route from Via Marco Bruto, Milan to Piazza del Duomo, Milan:

And this is the same route calculated on the official site of the public transport company of Milan. As you can see, there is tram line n°27 that directly connects the two.

If you also try to search, let's say, from Viale Corsica, Milan, to Piazza del Duomo, Milan (which is where you'd get walking along the rails of line 27 for some 10 minutes from Via Marco Bruto) you should also get some more option (not as direct as taking the 27, but for example bus line 73 from Viale Corsica to Piazza San Babila, and then walk for less than 5 minutes to Piazza del Duomo is a viable option).

The same can be said when planning a route from Via Mac Mahon, Milan to Piazzale Piola, Milan. Nokia Transport app says I have to walk like forever, this is what it should tell me.

My hypotesis is that the app only knows about subway lines, which is clearly insufficient for Milan: we only have 3 of them, and they hardly cover half of the city. I should also add that in the case of the aforementioned route from Mac Mahon to Piola, the second half of the route is made by subway line 2, but the app doesn't even tell me "Walk from Via Mac Mahon to Lanza, then take subway line 2 from Lanza to Piola" which is crazy, but better than walking all along.

The Following User Says Thank You to Watchmaker For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia lies