Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
but the YouUnited application was expected to be integrated as a plugin
What do you mean by "was expected"?

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
unsure running on emulated layer ...

Having an emulation layer is the user choice and they were pretty surprised their apps worked so well on non-android phone. ...

Android emulation layer is a factor in achieving that.
Alien Dalvik is not an emulator. It is a Dalvik VM, just like the one that runs Android apps on Android phones.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
What do you mean by "was expected"?
well from the release the community expected, ie WE a native effort.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
well from the release the community expected, ie WE a native effort.
Expectations aside, I don't think that was ever stated either by Jolla or by F-Secure, right?

Besides, it should not be that hard to implement by oneself, I'd imagine the specification is public or if not, there's the android implementation to study.

(disclaimer: I have to confess I have not looked at it since I don't need it; I am using my own cloud for my needs...)

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Expectations aside, I don't think that was ever stated either by Jolla or by F-Secure, right?
Oh common, do not play advocates here, what next? We'll be told "but our fingers were crossed behind our back"? Surely partnership with certain companies that have mobile apps would mean at least native apps( btw we had angry birds even on n900). As well as it was mentioned that there would be TOHs with content. None of it come along yet.
You can't always tell that Jolla is so much better than android when all the store is full mostly of android apps and latest thing that was released is android launcher (like Nokia did btw). So if it quaks like a duck, looks like a duck and walks like a duck - it is android, I mean duck

Not first time things were promised and changed last minute or set to "right we did not tell you when or what"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I don't think that was ever stated either by Jolla or by F-Secure, right?
That's a somewhat disingenuous comment, isn't it?

It'd be a bit like Apple announcing a partnership with Rockstar Games to bring their games to the Mac, 6 months later finding out that this was going actually going to be delivered via Bootcamp. You can pretty much bet under those circumstances that Mac users (or at least those Mac users who are games players) would quite rightfully be somewhat disappointed, even if the original press release had not specifically stated that Rockstar would be producing native versions.

And can you imagine how the Jolla community would laugh at Ubuntu phone fans if something similar were to happen to them?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
Not first time things were promised [...]
Did you notice how swiftly you went from "the community expected" to "things were promised"?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Alien Dalvik is not an emulator. It is a Dalvik VM, [...]
And what is a VM?

Let's see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine
"In computing, a virtual machine (VM) is an emulation of [...]"

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
Oh common, do not play advocates here, what next? We'll be told "but our fingers were crossed behind our back"? Surely partnership with certain companies that have mobile apps would mean at least native apps( btw we had angry birds even on n900). As well as it was mentioned that there would be TOHs with content.
It's close to malignant to say that "they must have meant what I understood". In fact, the press release for example for the Rovio partnership mentioned exactly what should be expected... and it did not mention a native port of Angry Birds.

(Which does not, of course, change the fact that the announced features weren't released, either.)

When you say "do not play advocates" it translates to "do not care what they said, let's talk about what I wished for".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Did you notice how swiftly you went from "the community expected" to "things were promised"?
So basically shown TOHs with angry birds symbol is not a promise?
Sorry my bad
Probably it's same as when I pre-ordered it was written LE jolla than it became LE TOH, which was said to be unique colour, than it was released publicly. The point here is they do make statements and then boom..
Same as open sourcing parts and etc.
Surely we can start checking every word and every punctuation. But I'll be sure we were promised to resolve Nokia mistakes and do it better, to be unlike.

All I see is PR with shiny promises that are not a statements, so they are just made for noise and nothing actually come of it reminds me of Apple's "think different" and all the promises and calling IBM big brother and where they are today? Jolla just made shortcut to save few years