Active Topics

Posts: 137 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Drama, Greece
danny720 has just registered and..... started spamming all the captCha and addons are useless

Last edited by andreas.k; 2011-09-25 at 16:31.

ohhh wowww how did i miss thread....
this is interesting than the n9 thread, another thread (reason) to visit tmo daily..

The Following User Says Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Man... I don't understand the reason behind this spam... I mean so far I simply did not like NFL, but now I want to nuke it and I want to do that now. I want pain and blood and hell for the one responsible! Argh!

Ain't there a way for a quick-fix, like in the search query not listing threads that has 0 answers or has some sports related keywords?

The Following User Says Thank You to zdanee For This Useful Post:
at least we need to eliminate the 60 sec limit between reporting!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vaporeso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Why is this a one moderator fight? Anyone helping texrat?

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
it would be good if they make some more moderators ( to control all this) like members having more than 1000 thanks depending on his support to this forum should be given an invitation.. what you all say...

The Following User Says Thank You to TransTech For This Useful Post:
Like zdanee said, can we just do keyword blocking? I would think it'd be hard to get around that if the point is to get google to spit out these threads when people search for this stuff with these keywords.

Here's a thought: assign each new post a "spamminess factor" based on criteria like "contains 'watch' or 'streaming' or 'online' or 'live' in title, +2/word"; "contains 'X vs Y' in title, + 10"; "contains 'NFL' in title, +5"; "contains 'NFL' and 'TV' and 'link' within 4 words in body, +5"; "contains 'NFL' and 'week' in body, +10"; "contains repeated seo-like occurrence of phrases in last paragraph in body, +10", and a spamminess factor of >15 puts the account on probation or something. Would this be too complicated to code (I have no experience with VB plugins so forgive me if I'm suggesting something impossible)?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Applesaws For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Look, it's obvious that we're fighting a losing battle (attack is automated, cleaning up is manual), and besides I'm sure that you moderators have much better things to do with your time. Just ask Reggie to quarantine new unverified users already.
You guys have already done that, and I thanked the posts. My voice carries no more weight on this than anyone else's.

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Why is this a one moderator fight? Anyone helping texrat?
Yes, I'm just more visible and vocal. But many times someone has beaten me to the punch.

Originally Posted by TransTech View Post
it would be good if they make some more moderators ( to control all this) like members having more than 1000 thanks depending on his support to this forum should be given an invitation.. what you all say...
That's still a reactive measure, not a solution. I'd rather have a stronger signup...

On another note: I just banned-and-cleaned about 10 or so accounts. This is nuts.

Reggie, what about changing the name of "Games" to something like "Gaming", even just temporarily? See what that does?

Last edited by Texrat; 2011-09-25 at 19:47.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 37 | Thanked: 200 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Applesaws View Post
Here's a thought: assign each new post a "spamminess factor" based on criteria like "contains 'watch' or 'streaming' or 'online' or 'live' in title, +2/word"; "contains 'X vs Y' in title, + 10"; "contains 'NFL' in title, +5"; "contains 'NFL' and 'TV' and 'link' within 4 words in body, +5"; "contains 'NFL' and 'week' in body, +10"; "contains repeated seo-like occurrence of phrases in last paragraph in body, +10", and a spamminess factor of >15 puts the account on probation or something. Would this be too complicated to code (I have no experience with VB plugins so forgive me if I'm suggesting something impossible)?
If such a plugin is possible, it would be easier to block posts that contains the any of the URLs the spammer is promoting.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to larsoy For This Useful Post:

Tags
diespammerdie, exterminates, itneverends, kudzu, spam!, spamspamspam..., texrat darlek