Hi all, before I ask a silly Q, I just want to say I have read a lot and tried many different things!

I have an N800 running 4.2007.38-2, I want to access my simple NAS box on my home network which serves smb or ftp.

I tried the new OS2008 and saw the shares for about 5 minutes until they diappeared never to be seen again, besides, minimo was as buggy as hell so I don't want OS2008 until it improves. I don't want to do ftp either.

I followed the available wikis for installing cifs.ko which I downed from fanoush, installed with root permissions etc etc, still no joy.

Q1- Samba=cifs/cifs=samba Is this right?
Q2- Has Samba been recompiled for maemo?

This is a really great site so my apologies if this specific Q has been answered elswhere, but after 2 weeks I have'nt fond it.

Thanks

if the cifs.ko was for 2007, then post exactly what you did.

The exact commands, the exact error messages.

Then it is possible to work out what went wrong and what to try next.

cifs is the term for the microsoft implementation of file sharing (I think that's what the fs in cifs is). Samba is an implementation of it too.

Samba uses cifs, Windows uses cifs, other things do too.

Zebee

Hi, here is just three attempts quickly with my cup of tea!

BusyBox v1.4.1 (2007-03-12 19:00:25 EET) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/ $ sudo gainroot

Root shell enabled

BusyBox v1.4.1 (2007-03-12 19:00:25 EET) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/ # cd /media/mmc1/thedisk

/media/mmc1/thedisk # mount -t cifs//192.168.x.xx/thedisk/ -o username=user,password=pass

/media/mmc1/thedisk # mount -t cifs://192.168.x.xx/thedisk / -o username=user,password=pass

mount: mounting rootfs on / failed

/media/mmc1/thedisk # mount -t cifs://192.168.x.xx/thedisk-o username=user,password=pass

mount: can't find username=user,password=pass in /etc/fstab

/media/mmc1/thedisk # mount -t cifs://192.168.x.xx/thedisk -o username=user,password=pass

/media/mmc1/thedisk #

The cifs.ko was from fanoush and for OS2007, extracted with winrar on pc, copied the mmc1, moved to /etc/modules. After 'insmod cifs.ko' I got no system message.

I also found cifs.ko in /lib/modules, does that mean that it did install?

Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by hopalong View Post

/media/mmc1/thedisk # mount -t cifs://192.168.x.xx/thedisk / -o username=user,password=pass

mount: mounting rootfs on / failed
Umm... this is it stopping you from shooting yourself in the foot I think.

Trying to mount something over your root filesystem is "oh ****, that was stupid" territory

Do you get the same problems when mounting it on a nice empty directory somewhere?

I have also found that cifs and username/password is painful on linux generally. Especially if the username has spaces.

Also, the syntax doesn't look right.

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.120/zebee /mnt -o user=zebee,password=password

works on my home system linux (don't have cifs module on tablet so can't check there). Note no colon after cifs, but a space.

Zebee

[/QUOTE]

The Following User Says Thank You to Zebee For This Useful Post:
Thanks Zebee. I gave up on cifs.ko in the end.

For any interested parties - I installed wizard-mounter and it's dependencies. Then installed samba-common, smbfs in that order. I can now connect to my Unslung NSLU2, 320Gb on tap from the file manager. One word of caution, you have to set global file permmissions on your share other wise the N800 sees, but wont open.

Thanks again.

Hopalong