Notices

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I've had witter (0.2.2) spontaneously close on me a couple of times. I'm guessing that was unintentional, and it doesn't contain a "You've wasted enough time" feature. Is there a new version I'm not usng yet?

I still love it. (And the comment about colours was more repeating what I'd seen others tweet than any feeling I have - don't waste time on that till you have the function how you want it)

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I've had witter (0.2.2) spontaneously close on me a couple of times. I'm guessing that was unintentional, and it doesn't contain a "You've wasted enough time" feature. Is there a new version I'm not usng yet?

I still love it. (And the comment about colours was more repeating what I'd seen others tweet than any feeling I have - don't waste time on that till you have the function how you want it)
0.2.2-3 is the latest, i tend to but smaller changes at the -n level. and bump the main version for big stuff.

the random exits are some kind of segfault in one of the libraries i use. sadly i have no idea which or why it goes wrong. if it try to use a hildonfiledialg instead of the gtk one for twitpic that goes boom in a similar way.

as for the colour thing, i saw the same tweets. and siunce it was a relatively easy change to make 0.2.2-3 contains some support to change the colours
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Wellington, New Zealand
very good, working fine now...
love the colour change, works good...
would be good if you gave the ability to change the background colour too, as otherwise its blue may clash with the users chosen colour scheme....not a biggie though

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ The Netherlands
Wow, thanks so much for the update, works great,
just one spontaneous shut down, so it is pretty stable over here

Really like the options you've added with this last update,
would like the color option to be extended to the icons and background, and if possible adding avatars of course.

I switch between mauku *cause of the easy see in a glace who posted a tweet avatar bubble style* and Witter (more options, search etc.)...

Would be tremendously happy if somebody could merge these 2 apps together, the looks of Mauku and the functionality of Witter !!

Edit:

- maybe if possible when posting a new tweet that it says; Posted from Witter in stead of API ??
- Do you have a solution for the time not displayed correctly (1 hour less then actual, am located in Amsterdam Time Zone).

Last edited by mscarrot; 2010-01-26 at 18:49.

Originally Posted by mscarrot View Post
Wow, thanks so much for the update, works great,
just one spontaneous shut down, so it is pretty stable over here

Really like the options you've added with this last update,
would like the color option to be extended to the icons and background, and if possible adding avatars of course.
the icons are all in files and i have no idea if it's even possible to dynamically change the colours. you're welcome to create your own font set to match the colour you want they all live in /opt/witter/Icons/
I switch between mauku *cause of the easy see in a glace who posted a tweet avatar bubble style* and Witter (more options, search etc.)...

Would be tremendously happy if somebody could merge these 2 apps together, the looks of Mauku and the functionality of Witter !!

Edit:

- maybe if possible when posting a new tweet that it says; Posted from Witter in stead of API ??
configure oauth. twitter doesn't let an app report itself as source over basicauth. or rather it doesn't let any new apps do so. but witter is registered so when you configure oauth it will show up as source
- Do you have a solution for the time not displayed correctly (1 hour less then actual, am located in Amsterdam Time Zone).
i just paste the time straight from the tweet xml with no processing. it hadn't really occured to me to mess about with it.

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:

since 0.2.2-3 seems to be relatively well received for extras-devel I've promoted to extras-testing.

Not sure what I'm going to look at next, but if anyone can point me at information on any of the following it would be helpful...

using libnotify from python - I'd like to be able flash led etc for dms/mentions

or how to get signals from the rocker switch - I'd like to allow the font size to be stepped up/down as a zoom type function

Anything at all around make a more performant display in python. currently it uses a gtk treeview backed by a list store using a custom cell renderer. and it just feels like there must be a sexier faster wy to display. but I'm at a loss of where to start.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwould For This Useful Post:
I'm not managing to d/l more than 20 tweets at the moment. I was in 0.2.2 but not in 0.2.2-3. It that just me?

As for faster, I think doing the python optify (which I did for rootfs space) seemed to make a slight difference. Once loaded though it's pretty fast. A little bit of ghosting on the scoll - can you make the scolling smoother?

Just created my twitter account, and just downloaded this application.

Made my first tweet A OK the program looks great so far seems to be well featured and I like the interface.

I'm not managing to d/l more than 20 tweets at the moment. I was in 0.2.2 but not in 0.2.2-3. It that just me?
do you mean the +20,+50,+100,+200 buttons aren't working for you now? if you press them in windowed me does witter show it's busy at all? they still work fine for me....
As for faster, I think doing the python optify (which I did for rootfs space) seemed to make a slight difference. Once loaded though it's pretty fast. A little bit of ghosting on the scoll - can you make the scolling smoother?
the scrolling is what I'd love to fix, but i think i'd probably have to take a completly different approach to rendereing. once you load lots of tweets things slow down, and i get some strange artefacts whilst rendering sometimes. just not sure what approach to take.

To be accurate, it does sometimes. But mostly it doesn't. Sometimes it just reloads the same 20, sometimes it doesn't seem to respond at all.

BTW, you want to get on twitter and silence the fools shouting for gravity.

Tags
python, twitter