Notices

Tried this out yesterday, just used one of the preconfigured battery level scripts.

It seems to work nice but later that night when I went to go charge my phone it would not charge. I noticed the widget meter did not match the phones icon in the status bar for battery level.

I started to worry my usb port was broken. Turning off the widget and rebooting the phone fixed it and it charged. I never had this problem before and this was my only new application so atleast a decent chance that the widget/script somehow lead to the phone not going into charge mode.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Battery icon is never as accurate as the lshal or hal-device script.
I highly doubt this widget was causing the phone not to charge.

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by ViciousXUSMC View Post
Tried this out yesterday, just used one of the preconfigured battery level scripts.

It seems to work nice but later that night when I went to go charge my phone it would not charge. I noticed the widget meter did not match the phones icon in the status bar for battery level.

I started to worry my usb port was broken. Turning off the widget and rebooting the phone fixed it and it charged. I never had this problem before and this was my only new application so atleast a decent chance that the widget/script somehow lead to the phone not going into charge mode.
First of all, the widget JUST shows the results of the commands; nothing more. What is happening to you happens to everybody: while charging there is NO battery reading, so it stays at the same value (e.g. 0%) until charging finished OR a reboot. One could easily modify our script to show "charging" in those moments since that information is similarly available..

And maybe this should be something to change.bf upgrading to extras so no one would get confused.

(you can check what I'm saying typing
Code:
lshal | grep bat
on your terminal and reading everything.

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by dsawhney View Post
With 0.7, I can no longer see the X button to close when I resize the widget. To reproduce the issue, add a new widget and resize the width to something like 0.25. The X is visible when width is increased to 1.0
That X is automatically placed by the window manager (maemo desktop itself) and totally "breaks" when widgets resize themselves. I had to introduce a HACK in order to keep that X together with the "Tool" one. You circumvented this Hack when changing the desktop of the widget with full width and then shrinking. If you look for it, the X is still there... look far right. Workaround is to close the widget and add it again.

Originally Posted by cpscotti View Post
Ok.. I see that this bug seems really annoying =/
Some things I would try to checkif the problem really is my widget:
a) install desktop-cmd-exec, triggering the prob and then just reboot (without uninstalling).. is the prob still there?

b)Uninstall desktop-cmd-exec and try cycles of installing-uninstalling widgets like personal-ip-address or countdown-widget

Other thing that come to mind: try removing (by hand) ".desktop_cmd_exec" on your home folder which may got corrupted in some weird way..

Now changing the subject, thanks to qwerty12 multiple instances are experimentally working here =]
just one little glitch that took me one hour to find out:
"X-Multiple=True" != "X-Multiple=true" =]
I just tried the newest version and it works! My desktops are just fine, no icons are missing. I am going to reboot shortly just to make sure everything still works but I don't expect anything different.

Good job, whatever change you made

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Here's a script I'm using for Rootfs usage info. Hope someone finds it useful.

Title: Rootfs Usage:

Code:
df -h | grep ubi0 | awk '{print $5,"used",",",$4"B","free"}'
example output:

Rootfs Usage: 82% used , 40.9MB free

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Stockholm
Here's a proposal for a new batt-level cmd line:
Code:
if `hal-device | grep is.charging | awk '{print $3}'`; then echo Charging; else hal-device | grep charge_level.percentage | awk '{print $3 "%"}'; fi
I made mine 16 wide and changed "Battery:" to "Batt" and "Charging" to "Chrg", making it smaller.

The Following User Says Thank You to Palleman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by liedekef View Post
Hi all,

I believe I found an uptime command that is a little less error-prone than the awk-version in the current desktop command execution widget.
Try this for uptime command:

uptime|cut -d" " -f3-|cut -d"," -f-1

If you don't like the word "up" in the response, try this:
uptime|cut -d" " -f4-|cut -d"," -f-1

Franky
Well, and again a better error prone version that works for hours and days uptime:

uptime|cut -d" " -f4-|sed 's/\, *load.*//'

In fact the best method would be parsing /proc/uptime and getting a string from there, but that would require at least a shell script ...

Franky

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Stockholm
Originally Posted by liedekef View Post
In fact the best method would be parsing /proc/uptime and getting a string from there, but that would require at least a shell script ...
Or some awk:
Code:
cat /proc/uptime | awk '{printf "%d days, %.2d:%.2d\n",int($1/86400),int($1%86400/3600),int($1%3600/60)}'
Or, if you don't want "0 days":
Code:
cat /proc/uptime | awk '{if (int($1/86400)>0){printf "%d days, ",int($1/86400)};printf "%.2d:%.2d\n",int($1%86400/3600),int($1%3600/60)}'
/P

Last edited by Palleman; 2010-01-28 at 17:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to Palleman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Palleman View Post
Or some awk:
Code:
cat /proc/uptime | awk '{printf "%d days, ",int($1/86400);printf "%.2d:%.2d\n",int($1%86400/3600),int($1%3600/60)}'
Or, if you don't want "0 days":
Code:
cat /proc/uptime | awk '{if (int($1/86400)>0){printf "%d days, ",int($1/86400)};printf "%.2d:%.2d\n",int($1%86400/3600),int($1%3600/60)}'
/P
Very nice! I admit my awk doesn't go that far, I like perl more :-)