Meego 1.0 coming in Q2 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j39oU4A-HTw

The Following User Says Thank You to rocky272727 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 39 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Been away for a while.
I wonder if this is the first official word: http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2010/03/1...able-to-meego/

The Following User Says Thank You to ColonelKilkenny For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by ColonelKilkenny View Post
Been away for a while.
I wonder if this is the first official word: http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2010/03/1...able-to-meego/
I don't think so. It sounds a lot like someone either clueless or just blatantly incorrect. You can't get much more of a commitment than the people actually doing the work saying it will run on the n900...

See also: http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_re...or_my_N900_.3F

The Following User Says Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
The people actually doing the work saying that Meego will run on N900 in the same way as Android or Mer run on N900. In other words it is possible to play around with, but not if you actually want to use your device as a phone.

Nokia (if that quote is correct) say that Meego will not run on N900 in the same way that Maemo5 runs on it.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
but not if you actually want to use your device as a phone.
Sorry, but: [citation needed].

Nowhere has it been said that the initial n900 release will be fully usable for end consumers(see the link I just provided) which shouldn't be a surprise to *anyone*. 1.0 releases are seldom really 'production ready', but at the same time, I'm quite sure there have been no mentions regarding the availability (or lack thereof) of specific components, such as the phone stack.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
1.0 releases are seldom really 'production ready'
Neither are 5.0 (fremantle) devices, apparently. Also, this is basically Maemo 6.

Would Meego 1.0 really be that much worse than Maemo 5 at this point?

Originally Posted by twoboxen View Post
Neither are 5.0 (fremantle) devices, apparently. Also, this is basically Maemo 6.

Would Meego 1.0 really be that much worse than Maemo 5 at this point?
NO... if by Maemo 6 you mean Harmattan that does not = Meego. They've renamed Harmattan to Meego for the purposes of branding but it is not the same as the Maemo + Moblin distro that is Meego 1.0.

The issue isn't worse, but they've reset everything so they have to start from the ground up which takes time.

http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_re...n_features_.3F

I don't think so. It sounds a lot like someone either clueless or just blatantly incorrect. You can't get much more of a commitment than the people actually doing the work saying it will run on the n900...

See also: http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_re...or_my_N900_.3F
Let's be clear I think the article is specifically referring to productized support versus, "it'll load and you can poke around on it"-type support.

From the link you referenced and I quote:

"That said, please do not take this yet as a commitment to fully productise MeeGo on N900. I am quite confident that we will end up having a really good developer distro for N900 already but committing to stabilise a consumer-grade MeeGo 1.0 (first half this year) for N900 is another story. That is a product business decision beyond my scope. Also, we do not yet know about MeeGo 1 release content. I am not yet sure if I would be personally ready to let my Maemo5 go for the first MeeGo release in my daily N900 use.

Source : valhalla"

So far the statements are consistent with what has been stated. So nothing new.

Nokia N900 is a great "device" I stressed on device, because the hardware is exceptional; probably the best in the market. However, the software/apps are not up to mark. The strength with Apple/Google is the availability of thousands of applications. But, N900 is quite bad in this arena; perhaps it is because of its late entry. Actually, the problem that all consumers of N900 like me facing is that we are not able to fully utilize N900 to its best. After all of this, everyone expects MeeGo to be a good catch for N900. But, if Nokia thinks the other way, then I will spend another 500$ to buy an Iphone or a Google phone. Atleast, then I will have the luxury of application base. This will be the path all the N900 customers will follow and Nokia brand is lost.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunny For This Useful Post:
Sorry, but: [citation needed].

Nowhere has it been said that the initial n900 release will be fully usable for end consumers(see the link I just provided) which shouldn't be a surprise to *anyone*. 1.0 releases are seldom really 'production ready', but at the same time, I'm quite sure there have been no mentions regarding the availability (or lack thereof) of specific components, such as the phone stack.
While there probably won't be a lack of specific components, it's more an example of. Don't expect this to be a consumer use release. It's not finished, still in active development, and parts of it may change or be missing.

Originally Posted by bunny View Post
Nokia N900 is a great "device" I stressed on device, because the hardware is exceptional; probably the best in the market. However, the software/apps are not up to mark. The strength with Apple/Google is the availability of thousands of applications. But, N900 is quite bad in this arena; perhaps it is because of its late entry. Actually, the problem that all consumers of N900 like me facing is that we are not able to fully utilize N900 to its best. After all of this, everyone expects MeeGo to be a good catch for N900. But, if Nokia thinks the other way, then I will spend another 500$ to buy an Iphone or a Google phone. Atleast, then I will have the luxury of application base. This will be the path all the N900 customers will follow and Nokia brand is lost.
That's what Nokia is aiming to solve with QT, if the QT libraries are cross-platform, an app developed using the QT libraries will be runable on any other platform using the same QT libraries. It'll definantly have to work if Meego is to succeed (since it's going be an open platform that can be installable from anything from TVs, netbooks, MIDs, phones, tablets, etc..). I think this also allows them to leverage Symbian app development in QT towards Maemo/Meego. Otherwise if Nokia just kept with keeping Maemo to themselves they would (as I predicted and wrote several times) eventually lose to Android or some platform that could be installed on several machines. The best they could hope for had they went down the keep Maemo to themselves path is a small marketshare. Kinda like what Apple has with Macs and will eventually have with the iPhone in the future.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Tags
just a bunch of