Hey guys, I'm pretty sure it's not hard to route internet from the N9 to linux via USB set to SDK.

I usually connect via wifi hotspot and always charge it via usb because of battery drain. Isn't it easy to just route packets from the N9 over usb?

Actually, it may be harder because I'm on Mac, but possibly not.

something like,

On mac:

#route add 192.168.2.14 localhost

On N9:
#ip route add 192.168.2.15 gw.....

I'm not exactly sure.

Thanks!

I'm not at a computer where I have access to change my routing tables but you can try the following. However, I highly doubt that forwarding is enabled in the stock kernel. Also, please know how to revert these changes before trying them.

On mac

route change default 192.168.2.15

On N9

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Last edited by uber; 2011-11-14 at 23:43.

Originally Posted by uber View Post
I'm not at a computer where I have access to change my routing tables but you can try the following. However, I highly doubt that forwarding is enabled in the stock kernel. Also, please know how to revert these changes before trying them.

On mac

route change default 192.168.2.15

On N9

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
Looks like you're right about the ip_forward flag, but can't you manually set up the routing table? on the N9

Originally Posted by Konceptz View Post
Hey guys, I'm pretty sure it's not hard to route internet from the N9 to linux via USB set to SDK.
[...]

On N9:
#ip route add 192.168.2.15 gw.....
It should be something like:

Code:
# route del default
# route add default gw 192.168.2.15
(assuming that 192.168.2.15 is the Mac's IP address). You don't need to enable IP forwarding on the N9, but you do on the Mac.

Which way does he want to go? Does he want internet on his Mac through the N9 (N9 is the router) or does he want internet on his N9 through his Mac (Mac is the router)? What I described is using his N9 as the router and he'd need to have forwarding to be enabled on the N9 in that scenario.

Originally Posted by Konceptz View Post
Looks like you're right about the ip_forward flag, but can't you manually set up the routing table? on the N9
The routes are already setup on the N9. It has a route to the internet through gprs0 and it has a route to your mac over usb0. What it won't do without forwarding is actually forwarding packets between those two interfaces.

Originally Posted by uber View Post
The routes are already setup on the N9. It has a route to the internet through gprs0 and it has a route to your mac over usb0. What it won't do without forwarding is actually forwarding packets between those two interfaces.
What does the joiku framework do to let it forward from gprs to adhoc wifi?

Can't we use those commands or actually modify the wifi program to route to USB Ethernet?

I was wrong. Routing appears to work with the ip_forward set to 1, but since you probably want to share you gprs connection it won't matter since the NAT modules aren't included on the N9. JoikuSpot has it's own module (JoikuSpot_Bouncer.ko) that probably does all the NAT work.

Last edited by uber; 2011-11-16 at 09:29.

Is sth new about getting internet connection to PC via N9 and USB cable?
I don't know about programming but as I read here it might be possible via some hack or sth.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
someone posted a how-to the other day for exactly this
Can't find the link now, but a search should reveal it.
It was either in this or the N9/N950 sub-forum.