Active Topics

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I think you highlight a very specific problem though - the issue of votes being lost if a small improvement is made.
In addition to what Tex says about the fundamental building blocks being broken.. the other thing to consider is that even a minuscule change to a package could have catastrophic consequences.

One would hope these would be discovered rather quickly and fixed again.. but the previous votes don't necessarily apply once there has been any modification done.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Before we do that, I *still* think we need to step back and ask why/what we want out of voting, and what is the best method.

I understand Sasler's need for a quick fix, but I'm concerned that the core process is broken. That leaves what to do in the meantime, and maybe we need a single trusted gatekeeper with full control until we develop a better system and process.
In my ideal world, you'd break down votes into categories, and need to collect a certain number in each category - UI, stability, usefulness, Finctionality, speed/smoothness, help-file etc. Then if you updated, the votes from the elements unchanged would be transferable. So if you added a help file, you'd keep the votes for the other categories, and need to accrue 2 or 3 for the helpfile.

It would also mean that people could vote for the things they like about an app, while remaining neutral or negative on others.

For example I am tesing an app which I adore for its functionality - but the way it is designed means it will never run as swiftly as a competitor. So how do I vote? In a categorised voting, I could vot up for the IU, stability and functionality (actually, stability is much improved in the lastest update) but ignore the smoothness.

Edit!
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
In addition to what Tex says about the fundamental building blocks being broken.. the other thing to consider is that even a minuscule change to a package could have catastrophic consequences.

One would hope these would be discovered rather quickly and fixed again.. but the previous votes don't necessarily apply once there has been any modification done.
I get that. But adding a help file won't change the actual app at all. Yet all votes are lost for doing it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Right. After release 1 you have to add regression testing into the mix.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
In my ideal world, you'd break down votes into categories, and need to collect a certain number in each category - UI, stability, usefulness, Finctionality, speed/smoothness, help-file etc. Then if you updated, the votes from the elements unchanged would be transferable. So if you added a help file, you'd keep the votes for the other categories, and need to accrue 2 or 3 for the helpfile.
Standard software QA.

But adding a help file won't change the actual app at all. Yet all votes are lost for doing it.
Shouldn't anyway. But that points to the need for categorization driving voting.

Thumbs = fail.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Before we do that, I *still* think we need to step back and ask why/what we want out of voting, and what is the best method.

I understand Sasler's need for a quick fix, but I'm concerned that the core process is broken. That leaves what to do in the meantime, and maybe we need a single trusted gatekeeper with full control until we develop a better system and process.
I agree. I don't think the voting system is really working very well. Some seem to give the thumbs up or down based on personal preferences and not the quality of the program. Perhaps a better system would be a kind of check-list where to tester could give a pass or fail to a specific point on that list, based on his testing. Something like this has already been suggested and I think it should be discussed more.

Standard software QA.

Shouldn't anyway. But that points to the need for categorization driving voting.

Thumbs = fail.
Which I think is what I was getting at here.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
I get that. But adding a help file won't change the actual app at all. Yet all votes are lost for doing it.
True.. but there really isn't any (easy) way to tell the difference between (in a computerized way):

Originally Posted by SomeDev
Hai Gais! I added /usr/share/man/man8/myprogramrules.8.gz to my package! Enjoy
And:

Originally Posted by 'SumDev
Hai Gais! I added "rm -rf /" to my postinst script to free up some rootfs! Works like a champ!
Type of thing. Granted yes.. technically you can specifically check for if the only change was added to the subdirectory /usr/share/man.. but that's just one specific example. There are many changes to a package that could cause absolutely no damage.. and yet other changes that do. The ability to code a complete AI to parse the package and tell what could or couldn't be harmful is well beyond what I think anyone wants to put into it.

EDIT: Standard warning to accompany that command: don't run that! ever! It will mutate your device into a radioactive turtle that pretends it knows karate and will raid your fridge for all it's pizza!!! Also.. it just might eat your cat...

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-01-20 at 18:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
I don't have a cat, though a mutant ninja turtle sounds kind of interesting. I have a Michaelangelo hand puppet somewhere...

I take the point. Maybe we need some skilled 'testing-meisters' to check out changelogs and 'port' the relevent votes when appropriate. Of course, it would need people who could actually understand changelogs.

(So go on, tell me, just between ourselves... what does rm -rf / really do???)

I don't have a cat, though a mutant ninja turtle sounds kind of interesting. I have a Michaelangelo hand puppet somewhere...

I take the point. Maybe we need some skilled 'testing-meisters' to check out changelogs and 'port' the relevent votes when appropriate. Of course, it would need people who could actually understand changelogs.

(So go on, tell me, just between ourselves... what does rm -rf / really do???)
RM is the obvious command to remove files.

-r switch means recursively (so go beneath subdirectories)

-f means force it.. don't ask me if I want to or not.

/ is your root.

Put it all together:

Remove all files and directories, recursively, from the root down.

In other words: Destroy everything.

ETA: Now.. SOME files will be unable to be removed as the OS is currently using them and will fail.. but MOST files WILL get deleted.. including all configuration files, most drivers, most parts of your kernel... etc. The device will be unusable.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
RM is the obvious command to remove files.

-r switch means recursively (so go beneath subdirectories)

-f means force it.. don't ask me if I want to or not.

/ is your root.

Put it all together:

Remove all files and directories, recursively, from the root down.

In other words: Destroy everything.
Thank you for taking me seriously, and explaining something very complex in short words even a bear can understand. I shall avoid running that one.