Active Topics

Had my N900 for just over a year and its on its last legs now.

I'm thinking of getting a new phone to replace it. What comes close to the N900 in terms of hardware / software capabilities?

Here are the things that the N900 does that I'd like to see in another phone:

Hardware:
- Full qwerty Keyboard
- Camera
- 3.5 mm Headphone socket
- Long Battery Life
* Stylus

Software / OS:
- Fast Internet Browser
- Full calendar / task support and sync
- MMS support
- Email
- Social Media Intergration
- Custom Homescreens
* SNES Emulator...

* Preferred but not totally important...

I was wondering the same.
there are only a few devices with hardware qwerty keyboard.
I prefer the nokia E7-00. Nokia will sent the phone to me because they cant fix my n900. HTC and sony ericson have also some phones with hardware keyboard with android which are great!
If you can get it, you will love the nokia N950 but it is only for developers...

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Germany ...
N900 Alternatives
No - i guess in 2 -3 years. I hope an a phone with real Windows 7 or 8 on it.

Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
i am also waiting for something like this. i want to add a few more things like....

open ssh
apps customization at lest like n900(theme costomizer, transaction control, led change color etc.)
also i have hacked my menu(for example, when you open clock from the menu my media app would open )
etc.

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

Yeah I had a look around on phone finder but couldn't really find anything perfect.
Also yeah, theme customization would be nice.

Basically there is no real alternative but what comes closest?

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by foolish91 View Post
I'm thinking of getting a new phone to replace it. What comes close to the N900 in terms of hardware / software capabilities?
Another N900?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gregoranderson View Post
Another N900?
That's exactly what I was thinking. My only complaint really after all this time about the N900 is the screen. I would love to get one with the gorilla glass. Or a screen protector that doesn't suck. Mine unfortunately has a few nasty scratches on it.

I love the N900. Wish there were another phone out there that was close. I want another Maemo phone or even a MeeGo phone. Lousy Elop....

slaapliedje

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking. My only complaint really after all this time about the N900 is the screen. I would love to get one with the gorilla glass. Or a screen protector that doesn't suck. Mine unfortunately has a few nasty scratches on it.

I love the N900. Wish there were another phone out there that was close. I want another Maemo phone or even a MeeGo phone. Lousy Elop....

slaapliedje
I'm in a similar frame of mind. It's cheap enough to get a replacement screen for the N900 (although fiddly to fit). What I'd really really like is a N900 tablet (akin to what Smoku was hoping to produce with Cordia). Had an interesting play with my Android tablet running VNC connecting to the N900 vncserver and I'm 100% confident that it is terrific form factor to run on. Infact the ideal scenario for me is a double-din touchscreen device in the car that with the N900 / maemo interface.

Ach. One can dream. Just a shame all those companies producing cheaper tablets are not confirming to GPL ; otherwise we'd be drowing in kit to port to.

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Motorola Milestone 1/2/3

(droids)

the best answer is another N900 bt if you still want an option then..

HERE YOU GO... Fujitsu-F-07C

Hardware:
- Full qwerty Keyboard
- Camera
- 3.5 mm Headphone socket

Software / OS:
its full "Windows 7 Home Premium"

It's the world's smallest PC that fits into the palm of your hand, and it runs Windows 7. Not Windows Phone 7, but the actual 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium (with SP1)
with a 4-inch SVGA touchscreen (1024 x 600), a 5.1MP camera, a 1.2 GHz Intel Atom Z600 CPU, 1 GB of LPDDR400 memory, a 32 GB SSD and IEEE802.11b/g/n connectivity with speeds up to 65 Mbps. There's also a USB port for connecting a keyboard or mouse, and an HDMI output jack for connecting to an HDTV. There's even a slide-out QWERTY keyboard for typing on-the-go

P.s. - i guess since its x86 it can handle any Os supported by a regular Pc including Fedora,debian & Ubuntu

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post: