Forgive a non-technical person asking a potentially silly question, but are you compiling:

a) a 3D engine that can run on the n900, and potentially be used by games?
b) the tools that allow content creation via Ogre to be run on the n900?

Thanks.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by REMFwhoopitydo View Post
Forgive a non-technical person asking a potentially silly question, but are you compiling:

a) a 3D engine that can run on the n900, and potentially be used by games?
b) the tools that allow content creation via Ogre to be run on the n900?

Thanks.
At least the question is relevant!

To some extent I would suppose the answer is yes to both.

A 3D engine requires a rendering system to display. OGRE and the other frameworks discussed allow developers to reduce some of the tedium in getting graphics onto the screen.

The abstraction of how that rendering is used is another matter but is one of the building blocks.

My personal drive on this would be to drive the potential for simpler game creation on the N900 but not averse to other uses.

Hope that helps? @OP: Care to comment with your thoughts as it's your thread.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ United Kingdom
The ogre tools are not compiled. They don't compile correctly because cmake cannot correctly determine the xlibs to use while compiling. I suspect this is a problem with the N900 SDK. This could be fixed or at least worked around, but there is not much point because you can and should just install these natively on the PC.

The 3D engine does compile but I have not yet tested it with the optional extra libraries freeimage and zzip so my build currently cannot load any texture or the ogre base example files. It does correctly initialize the render window though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ali1234 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ali1234 View Post
The ogre tools are not compiled. They don't compile correctly because cmake cannot correctly determine the xlibs to use while compiling. I suspect this is a problem with the N900 SDK. This could be fixed or at least worked around, but there is not much point because you can and should just install these natively on the PC.

The 3D engine does compile but I have not yet tested it with the optional extra libraries freeimage and zzip so my build currently cannot load any texture or the ogre base example files. It does correctly initialize the render window though.
Thanks for picking this one up and running with it. Looks like you are going to start the ball rolling. My hardware isn't here yet (along with most of the world it would seem) but happy to chip in via VM even if just testing.

I have now tested with the optional libraries. You need libzzip, libfreeimage, and libois. They all compile fine. The Ogre samples do not build correctly so you must prevent cmake from compiling them by adding -DOGRE_BUIILD_SAMPLES=0 to the cmake command.

Everything mostly works but there is some colour space problem (everything blue is orange) and some missing features due to using GLES and not GL.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ali1234 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ali1234 View Post
I have now tested with the optional libraries. You need libzzip, libfreeimage, and libois. They all compile fine. The Ogre samples do not build correctly so you must prevent cmake from compiling them by adding -DOGRE_BUIILD_SAMPLES=0 to the cmake command.

Everything mostly works but there is some colour space problem (everything blue is orange) and some missing features due to using GLES and not GL.
Well someone has been a busy bee! Are you looking to solve these issues yourself? Don't suppose you feel like opening a garage page? Be nice to get this packaged so the rest of us can at least help out with the testing?

Sorry, but packaging libraries is not something I would even consider doing until the issues surrounding security updates are resolved. FreeImage uses static copies of various image libs which get fairly frequent security fixes but there is currently no reasonable way to push these updates through H-A-M.

The Following User Says Thank You to ali1234 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Ogre would be great!
Or a 3d gta game like "Gangstarr" on the iphone.
Stupid question: Would run gta3?
Are there already other 3d games for N900? Except bounce.

Originally Posted by unkn0wn View Post
Ogre would be great!
Or a 3d gta game like "Gangstarr" on the iphone.
Stupid question: Would run gta3?
Are there already other 3d games for N900? Except bounce.
GTA3 = X86. Not a chance I'm afraid. GTA2... you're getting closer I'd say.

Ali seems to have found a receptive crowd on the Ogre Dev forums:

http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53886

The Following User Says Thank You to REMFwhoopitydo For This Useful Post: