Poll: Is this on or off-topic?
Poll Options
Is this on or off-topic?

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jutl View Post
Apple responded to Nokia's claims and counterclaimed late last month (thanks Groklaw):

http://www.groklaw.net/pdf2/ApplevHTC-19-1-2.pdf

Interestingly the N900 is mentioned specifically as infringing on three of the counterclaimed patents...

The '647 patent:

The '981 patent:

The '905 patent:

Reading the response it seems to me to imply that Nokia were seeking licences from Apple to these (and the other mentioned) patents in a cross-licensing deal. This suit seems to be the result of those talks breaking down.
how in heavens name has apple been able to patent the '647 ?!? damn patent stuff are all messed up. but pretty old nokians have been able to dig numbers from smses and if I don't remember incorrectly, 6630 did it with email too....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
how in heavens name has apple been able to patent the '647 ?!? damn patent stuff are all messed up. but pretty old nokians have been able to dig numbers from smses and if I don't remember incorrectly, 6630 did it with email too....
If you want to get really angry try reading the 'Background' section starting on page 10. It's a hilariously partial account of the development of smartphones claiming all glory for Apple, and implying that before the iPhone's release in 2007 Nokia were basically selling plastic cups attached to pieces of string.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jutl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jutl View Post
Interestingly the N900 is mentioned specifically as infringing on three of the counterclaimed patents...
I am not a patent lawyer, and didn't read the full descriptions on these patents, but:

The '647 patent
This shouldn't hold, as there is nothing non-obvious in the implementation (regular expression and hyperlink), after the initial idea (which shouldn't be patentable).

This one highlights nicely why software patents should not be granted.

The '981 patent
Sounds like they can sue just about everyone with this, if it holds. (of course it could be that everyone else has already licensed it)

The '905 patent
Ditto, as it's a feature of the chipset, and not something that Nokia implemented specifically for themselves.

The Following User Says Thank You to juise- For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Apple sues Nokia in UK.

I've been waiting for this. USA is such a tiny part of Nokia's revenue, that Nokia had very little to lose in court. Expecting this to escalate to more EU courts. Now Apple can really hurt Nokia.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE68R28620100928

EDIT: Anybody know UK site for public legal documents?

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Anybody know UK site for public legal documents
The confidential ones are usually found on a CD or usb flash at the back of a taxi

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Apple sues Nokia in UK.

I've been waiting for this. USA is such a tiny part of Nokia's revenue, that Nokia had very little to lose in court. Expecting this to escalate to more EU courts. Now Apple can really hurt Nokia.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE68R28620100928

EDIT: Anybody know UK site for public legal documents?
Seems Nokia could do the same to Apple anywhere the iPhone is sold. Either way both companies have alot to lose due to the oh so quagmire of patent land.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Nokia gets support of ITC staff in Apple smartphone trial

Basically the investigators found that some aspects of the four Apple patents were invalid and the others Nokia didn't infringe. This is from a pre-hearing memo. ITC judge has the final call, and isn't obligated to follow the staff's(third party investigators on behalf ITC) position.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
So if the judge in question doesn't side with the findings and evidence, what would *that* say about this whole scenario?

I still find it funny when I read people criticizing Nokia for "waiting so long" or doing this "just because they need money" - It takes time to backwards engineer this stuff people, plain and simple!

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Steve Jobs has been shopping around for new lawyers to be used against Nokia and Android related cases.

Apple Lawyers Up for Patent Showdowns With Nokia, Motorola, HTC

Originally Posted by jsa View Post
Nokia gets support of ITC staff in Apple smartphone trial

Basically the investigators found that some aspects of the four Apple patents were invalid and the others Nokia didn't infringe. This is from a pre-hearing memo. ITC judge has the final call, and isn't obligated to follow the staff's(third party investigators on behalf ITC) position.
What most media missed about this one, was that Apple vs Nokia investigations were partly merged with Apple vs HTC (5 patents that Apple used against both Nokia and HTC). So Nokia isn't in the clear yet. About half of Apple's original complaints are still undecided. Within the next two weeks we'll also get similar report from ITC staff about Nokia vs Apple.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney

Tags
apple, intellectual property, lawsuit, nokia, nonsense magnet, patent infringement