Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Just a heads up for everyone interested - I have now a first running alpha version of such a "shutter" widget. I will try to pack it up tomorrow.
In the meantime, any interested testers with such a DSL can already setup his N900: Install QTirreco and use that to download the N - Nikon - ML-L3 remote code.
(I hope that the end product will brings it's own config and install it in the right place :-)

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 122 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Turku, Finland
Originally Posted by mike2k4 View Post
This is an awesome idea. How about for a Canon Rebel as well?
They don't have IR receivers as I know it, at least not my Rebel XTi

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Eugene, Or
Originally Posted by antoarts View Post
They don't have IR receivers as I know it, at least not my Rebel XTi
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ontroller.html

or http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ontroller.html

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
Just a heads up for everyone interested - I have now a first running alpha version of such a "shutter" widget. I will try to pack it up tomorrow.
In the meantime, any interested testers with such a DSL can already setup his N900: Install QTirreco and use that to download the N - Nikon - ML-L3 remote code.
(I hope that the end product will brings it's own config and install it in the right place :-)
Will you make it posible to use other manufacturers IR codes as well? Olympus is what I'm interested in.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

!!! WARNING: this is ALPHA quality software, meaning it can utterly ruin your life and device!
!!! Do NOT install if you are just a fan, pleas be patient.

Ok, if all goes well my new widget called "shutter" should show up in Extras-Devel in the next hours. You don't need to have lirc or qtirreco installed, it should install all it needs by itself.

What it does: If you press the shutter-button of the widget, it will issue the Shutter command for Nikon D70 cameras according to http://www.bigmike.it/ircontrol/ - meaning that "Designed for Nikon D70, it works with every camera supported by ML-L1 and ML-L3 such as D40, D40X, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, D90, Coolpix 8400, 8800, P6000"

What to expect: Please bear in mind that is alpha quality and that I don't have such a camera at hand - I only know that the widget makes the IR sender blink on my N900 :-)

How it works: as this depends on Lirc, it will install it if necessary. Then it puts a special remote.config on your device and configures lirc to accept that one, too. The widget itself then just calls "irsend" to transmit the NikonDSLR shutter command. To save power, the lirc daemon gets started and stopped as necessary (if it's not already running).

Where it can fail: Because the builder takes so long to prepare the armel package, I couldn't yet test the full deb (and now it's time for bed!). Especially the postinstall script is finicky and I'm not sure if I did properly escape the quotes i some commands. You can however open X-Term and tpye:
Code:
irsend list "" ""
and should then get at least an item called NikonDSLR. If not, try to do:
Code:
echo "include \"/etc/lirc/ML-L3+\"" >> /etc/lircd.conf
sudo /etc/init.d/lirc reload
and re-issue the irsend command to verify proper installation.

Todos:
  • Make sure it runs at all
  • Transparent / borderless icon would be nice (Help! Must I use Cairo for that?)
  • Add support for other cameras (should't be hard as long as lirc config files exist)

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Last edited by twaelti; 2010-01-10 at 21:55. Reason: typos, I'm tired

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Here we go: http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...hutter/0.1.0-2
(CAUTION: EXTRAS-DEVEL untested)

This is pretty cool .. will test it with my D90 ..

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
/home/user # irsend list "" ""
irsend: could not connect to socket
irsend: Connection refused

tried with root also. Clicking desktop link it says shutter:irsend failed:1

fw-44

Originally Posted by slender View Post
/home/user # irsend list "" ""
irsend: could not connect to socket
irsend: Connection refused
tried with root also. Clicking desktop link it says shutter:irsend failed:1
fw-44
Please try
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/lirc start
and then once again
Code:
irsend list "" ""
On my FW44, it looks ok (but that device is a dev-mess anyway :-). However, I haven't the cam to test it (just "found" a D300 at the office, but that beast doesn't have IR...)

hmmm .. cant seem to get the widget on my desktop .. is a reboot required ?

running through xterm looks good .. irsend shows NikonDSLR .. will test with cam once back home ..

Last edited by pyromaniac; 2010-01-11 at 09:42.