Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post

On topic, has there been any further news on Jolla's new Asian offices at all? Would be nice if they had some sort of Grand Opening Ceremony and a few pics.
I'm waiting for that too. Pictures would be cool but the street name would be great too.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Not even if I get one for free. Those ultra-closed platforms are becoming a trend. Yes I know, you can disable secure boot on Pro, but that's just not enough. The OS itself also becomes more and more closed. And only just recently Microsoft decided the (basic) dev-tools should be free not only for the Metro-style apps, as was their plan before.

People might not realize it, but this will affect every user eventually. Every app and change must be sanctioned by Microsoft, which means there will be stuff that will not make it. Yeah, obvious malware will be blocked, but also benevolent apps which alter the behavior of the OS in a very useful way.

Also, I reckon there will be less free apps, as the "pro"-versions of the dev-tools (which are needed if you get beyond the basics) are expensive.

Posted from closed source Opera running on Windows 7, for which I paid - I'm no opponent of closed, commercial software, but I am on closed systems and protocols.
The way I'm approaching it is....
Anything about 7" or less I'm keeping for less "restricted" platforms, whereas anything above I'm happy to dabble with the major restricted ones.
Which means I'll prolly end-up w/a Nexus 10 & Surface Pro for 9"+, & for 7" or less I'm praying some decent devices arrive from the major F/OSS platforms.
If they take too long or don't deliver, then I'll prolly get a Android device or two*, Apple still for my Laptop/PMP, + maybe a WP eventually (but probably not Nokia).
Some great points though, & I tend to agree for the most part, sadly it's the world we live in. Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread, back to Sailfish/Jolla/MeR etc!

*Android may be pushed to 7" form-factor if BBX is impressive enough, so 1x Android minitab & 1x BBX phone, or I may forget minitabs & stick with ereaders.

*UPDATE* 24/01/13

For phones, this order of purchasing priority this yr:
Best Android, 2nd-hand 808PV, Jolla/RIM/Ubuntu, "maybe" WP(not Nokia)/Tizen/FFOS

For Tablets (9"+):
Surface Pro (maybe RT instead) & best 9"+ Android (maybe sell 2x old iPads & upgrade to same gen. iPad)
Mini-tablets (less than 9") forget completely, keep that form-factor for eReaders only.

For PMP:
Upgrade current iTouch4G to 5G (tis really about the 6th G IIRC) that was released in 2012

Laptop is sorted:
rMBP 15" (possibly resell and upgrade just before new model is launched in mid-2013)

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-01-24 at 09:31. Reason: typo

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
UEFI based boot loader should be possible to use, when I disabled secure boot. From there only Jolla can stop me from install it on my device. And I'm sure they don't. Actually, I think they have their own tablet on the way. would be easier and faster for them to release a tablet as first device.

These guys don't even have a website and announce things that they're going to announce via twitter. You don't need to be a genius to see where this is going. Hope i'm wrong though..

Just on twitter now, they state that 'openness is in the very core of sailfish os strategy'. So hopefully this means no drm / lockdown etc. All too good to be true, sdk announced next month.

Have faith, marbleuser. We will see next month.

Originally Posted by marbleuser View Post
These guys don't even have a website and announce things that they're going to announce via twitter. You don't need to be a genius to see where this is going. Hope i'm wrong though..
I'm sure they are working with a basic one for the sailfish announcment, just to distribute the sdk since the its always better to download from a "trusted" source.

No news today except this is where the asia office is located! Do we have any assets in the area for a stake out?

http://www.cyberport.hk/en

What can I do with mer while waiting?

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-10-30 at 15:48.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Oh my.....

Originally Posted by troll_falcone View Post
Oh my.....
Don falcone, you are so productive in all threads...your posts are always so...

So how many of you running active plasma?

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-10-30 at 16:10.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla