Active Topics

It's spam when your first post is a link to advertise one's site when you could just as easily post the stuff here, in a thread designated for the topic.
You already said it yourself that you didn't follow the link.
Someone else said: don't like it - don't click it.

The only thing I think is spam are all those comments that say that posting a link to a blog is spam.
So again. If you don't like it don't click it and stop spamming this crap please.

The Following User Says Thank You to count zero For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by count zero View Post
stop spamming this crap please.
Agreed. We have different definitions of spam. Some agree with me, some don't. Frankly, I couldn't care less and am finding the topic quite boring.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
1) The display of my N96 seems quite sensitive to scratches: did Nokia use some better material to avoid damages to a surface that surely will be much more stressed than ordinary non-touch screen phones?
You can put protective coating on it just like with Nokia 770 and Nokia N8x0, or put it in some kind of holster. I haven't got any scratches on my Nokia N810.

5) Why did Nokia left the DVB receiver out of this jewel? It looks like the only missing hardware....
There is Nokia Mobile TV Receiver SU-33W. I don't know if it will be compatible with Nokia N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I wonder how quickly the N900 could pump data out via the usb. I know it has video out (I'm assuming low-res via the analogue 3.5mm jack -- but I could be wrong). However, if the almost-laptop-grade omap and bus are fast enough, it may be possible to sustain rates high enough for descent resolution digital video at interactive rates.

Still to have *any* video out is a great plus.

As an aside:

I must say that this device is growing on me. After seeing some new videos of the device in action, the thickness doesn't seem like a major concern, and the browser seems quite responsive. I'll still wait to get some reliable reviews, but the N900 is becoming even more tempting. I hope that many apps work in both landscape and portrait mode.

YARR!
}:^)~

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
You can put protective coating on it just like with Nokia 770 and Nokia N8x0, or put it in some kind of holster. I haven't got any scratches on my Nokia N810.
I remember seeing a video demonstrating the durability of the N97 screen. The reviewer literally took a key to the surface and did a number. However, despite the torture, the screen didn't have a visible scratch on it! Honestly, I doubt an iphone with its hard glass screen would have

Here's the video. It's quite amazing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB1GxqRFKzw

For added protection you could always get an invisible shield. Given the durability of the screen, I think this is overkill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFEEqUu40N0

I suspect the N900 and other recent nokia devices would have the same coating.

YARR!

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
I wonder how quickly the N900 could pump data out via the usb. I know it has video out (I'm assuming low-res via the analogue 3.5mm jack -- but I could be wrong).
It's composite video at 480p. However, hooked up to a good 32" LCD TV, the graphics on the TV out were at Wii quality (if not higher):

http://twitpic.com/g6smv

Playing Bounce Evolution with the accelerometer and TV out was very very cool. Also, comparing the TV out with the X6 was like comparing Wii graphics with SNES graphics.

I must say that this device is growing on me. After seeing some new videos of the device in action, the thickness doesn't seem like a major concern, and the browser seems quite responsive. I'll still wait to get some reliable reviews, but the N900 is becoming even more tempting. I hope that many apps work in both landscape and portrait mode.
Having played with the device for a while - the thickness doesn't bother me at all; the width and height aren't as big as I expected (not much bigger than my very small SE W890i). The web browser is excellent.

I only missed portrait in the PDF reader and calculator (and, only a little, the web browser). As has been pointed out numerously, third party apps can support portrait as much as they want - see Conboy, for example.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Alright you bastards..... I'm sold!

This device is so close to perfect it's scary...

YARR!

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
It's composite video at 480p.
Sorry if this is picky, but if it's composite video then it'll be 480i, not 480p (i.e. interlaced, not progressive scan).

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Sorry if this is picky, but if it's composite video then it'll be 480i, not 480p (i.e. interlaced, not progressive scan).
Hmm, good point. Duh.

Originally Posted by 8mobile View Post
Sono photos with Nokia N900’s that are not running final firmware
http://thenokiablog.com/2009/08/31/p...sample-photos/

Quality is not good.
To me the quality is fine. The fact that you can see ANYTHING in the city shot at night is a amazing. Certainly no cell phone camera I have ever had was worth JACK with night photos.

We have no way of knowing under what conditions the pics were taken. Hell we have no way of knowing if they were even taken using an n900.

I am adopting a wait and see attitude to picture quality