Notices

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Canada
Hello... I downloaded tablet-encode v2.20 to my Ubuntu box to convert avi files to a more playback-friendly format for my N800. I ensured the 'tablet-encode' script was executable, moved it to /usr/local/bin, but when I run:

tablet-encode [input].avi [output].avi

... it fails to convert any file irregardless of whatever settings I give it. 'ps -ax' reveals mplayer is running:

mplayer -endpos 0 -vo null -ao null -identify [original file].avi

... and just endlessly runs in the background until I kill it.

I have searched around the site and nobody else seems to have any problem running this script with the default options... Any help getting this app working properly would be appreciated!

You need to install mencoder

Hi maba... I do have both mencoder and libgtk2-perl installed... and mencoder is working fine on its own.

Last edited by wooush; 2008-10-20 at 02:17.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
tablet-encode uses mplayer in some of the initial investigation of the video parameters (if installed). Why it'd hang seems very odd to me.

Can you tell me more about the original file, potentially even sending a fragment of it:

Code:
dd if=original.avi of=fragment.avi bs=1M count=4
Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Last edited by Jaffa; 2008-10-21 at 13:04. Reason: Fix formatting

Thanks for the offer Jaffa... but its definitely not an issue with the file... because it doesn't work with *any* avi file that I feed the script.

Now I just use straight mencoder for the odd time I want a video on the n800... something along the lines of:

mencoder input-video -vf scale=400:240 -o outputed-video -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by wooush View Post
Thanks for the offer Jaffa... but its definitely not an issue with the file... because it doesn't work with *any* avi file that I feed the script.

Now I just use straight mencoder for the odd time I want a video on the n800... something along the lines of:

mencoder input-video -vf scale=400:240 -o outputed-video -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4
Hmm. Can you do `mplayer -version' and 'mencoder -version' - that's basically all tablet-encode is doing, so it seems odd that that should work, but tablet-encode doesn't. Would love to get to the bottom of it :-)