Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Malaysia
honestly, i for 1 prefer maemo over what i've seen of meego. Maemo isn't exactly the easiest or simplest os to us, but seriously having a whale of a time learning! y would you wanna replace it with meego?

I'd welcome the chance to have a look around meego, knowing if it's not all it's cracked up to be you can revert back to maemo.

Maemo is great, but not always the easiest os to get around.

I'm guessing a lot of user experience lessons will have been learned and meego will be slicker

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
no .
Actually, that is a yes. MeeGo 1.1 is AFAIK still on track for an October release, and will be N900 compatible through the MeeGo N900 HW adaptation effort. Now, if the OP was inquiring about Nokia's 2010 MeeGo *device* and *its* compatibility, that's a whole different story.

I know nokias meego is not meego at all but a renamed maemo 6. Will this mean that this is not something we should buy as apps and such to meego will not be compatible with maemo 6 as it is deb/rpm?

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by joelsk View Post
honestly, i for 1 prefer maemo over what i've seen of meego. Maemo isn't exactly the easiest or simplest os to us, but seriously having a whale of a time learning! y would you wanna replace it with meego?
For me Maemo is easier and much more intuitive then Symbian , iOS is a joke i dont wanna even start .....MeeGo however is not quite ready to judge but so far it looks easier to use because it has Maemo roots, they just added more eyecandy and simplicity of Moblin , unfortunately the era when functionality was more important then looks and fancy animations are over thanks to iPhone

As for the device like I said but considering its Nokia we're talking about MeeGo might be out in 2011 , they already changed N8 date from August to September

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Still on track for october release

http://wiki.meego.com/Release_Engineering/Plans/1.1

The Following User Says Thank You to vode For This Useful Post:
2 months and counting, although looking at the ever growing bug jar on the meego site a degree of delay is plausable.

That said, at least there seems to be a huge amount of effort taking place in the background to lauch as finished an os as is conceivable.

not sure if this has been done yet (I'm guessing it has) but should a poll be set up to see how many maemo users will switch to meego when it's launched? My money would be on a huge switch for end users wanting a simpler os format with more of the bells and whistles you'd see on android these days

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Lullen View Post
I know nokias meego is not meego at all but a renamed maemo 6. Will this mean that this is not something we should buy as apps and such to meego will not be compatible with maemo 6 as it is deb/rpm?
The claim is that it will be compatible. The SDK is not yet out so it’s too early to tell how exactly this will be done. deb/rpm differences are not necessarily disqualifying, even on desktops you have tools like "alien" that convert from one to the other.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by vode View Post
Still on track for october release

http://wiki.meego.com/Release_Engineering/Plans/1.1
MeeGo's release has very little to do with Nokia's handset.

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

I seriously doubt Nokia will release this OS or handset anytime this year. This is the same people that promised us n900 August of last year. We ended up getting it in December if memory serves me right... Anyway the way i look at it is this. If Android 3.0 comes out before Meego or what ever they decide to call it it then, then Meego will not stand a chance. They better provide something appealing or else Nokia and Intel are done

The Following User Says Thank You to cenwesi For This Useful Post:

Tags
i want my, time back