Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Has anyone complained to the IP owner? He may not even know that his infrastructure is being abused...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
I agree...
Very highly probable...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

@pichlo
Today we blocked ~800 ip because they are known spammers blacklisted for malicious activities.
Are you suggesting that we should send to everyone an email to notify the kind of activity their hosts are doing? ..I don't think is possible.

Last edited by xes; 2014-09-18 at 22:53.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Where does the number 800 comes from? AIUI, there was a small number of incidents on our wiki, each traced to a single IP address. But I may have of course missed something.

@wicket
Since it seems i failed explaining the situation i will try to let it crystal clear.

maemo.org is a nice set (mess) of servers and deeply customized services that after at least 4 generations of different setups/moves/migrations .... are now what you can see and use here.
When techstaff evaluates a change, MUST consider security, resources, man power and time required for the different options.

When you think to have the best solution to fix something, for example add a captcha, you don't know that it means update all mediawiki, port the customizations and install the proper addon.

On the other hand we have a bunch of robots trying to add spam and deleting wiki pages continuosly and a lot of good guys trying to understand if they can play the new game called shellshock here....

Now, while still waiting your tor exit point ip to discover if the blacklist has something weird...

Now that i have explained what is under the hood of the services you are using, please let me understand why if you are a good licit member of this community you need tor to browse or contribute to wiki hiding your real ip or userid.

Last edited by xes; 2014-10-10 at 00:02. Reason: Typo

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by xes View Post
Now that i have explained what is under the hood of the services you are using, please let me understand why if you are a good licit member of this community you need tor to browse or contribute to wiki hiding your real ip or userid.
Actually this might also affect users not using tor, if they are running a tor exit node on their system.
It is always possible that your node gets blacklisted because of somebody else's bad behaviour using your tor node
Fortunately that has not happened to me yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by xes View Post
xes, thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate that your job is voluntary and that the recent maemo.org spam attacks have come as an unwelcomed inconvenience.

Since the revelations of Edward Snowden I have taken internet privacy more seriously than ever before and as a consequence it has become natural to me that I should use Tor for all internet activity. Having to disable Tor just to read the wiki or bug tracker is an inconvenience. Preventing read-only access does not help in any way to prevent spammers. I would recommend a policy similar to Wikipaedia where everyone has read-only access and should someone wish to update the wiki they are required to either validate their identity by logging in or they must disable Tor entirely.

As I already said, I appreciate that your job is voluntary so I would say there's no rush to implement this but I would at least like an acknowledgement that this is something that would be achievable in the near future.

Cheers.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
As I already said, I appreciate that your job is voluntary so I would say there's no rush to implement this but I would at least like an acknowledgement that this is something that would be achievable in the near future.

There are ways to whitelist wiki.maemo.org for the time being.
I have Elite Proxy Switcher for Firefox which can switch proxy's with one click on the statusbar.
You could also put maemo.org in your no proxies list.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
@wicket
i can see you are a reasonable guy and for me is a pleasure partecipate to this thread made of requests, actions and explanations, exactly in the spirit of this community.

There is already a plan to update wiki, but, you know, every member of techstaff has a real life and just a few hours of free time to engage big (dangerous) changes. Let's see how it proceeds.
Then, bugs is on the same server and even if updated, receives almost the same attacks of wiki so the actual dynamic blacklist protects both of them.

There are always many things to consider and while it's easy to make a wrong choice, often, also the better option is not perfect at the eyes of all.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:

Tags
wiki spam