Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
There is a lesson in this that's not being talked about...
The crowd might be loud, but not yet have the financial depth to be all that effective w/that noise.

That been the story of many open source efforts, including the one(s) that started and maintain this community. Without the depth of financial resources that either established companies or a series of significant investors back, there's just not enough to start the effort. There's enough in these efforts to push them forward, and even help them change direction, but probably not to start.

In this, does anyone see the irony in Nokia not moving forward with Maemo (not MeeGo, before the merger)? The Ubuntu Edge sounds a lot like a Maemo project that started with a software-only vision that someone thought hardware could be applied towards to answer how it gets into the market.

And this is all from someone who would have liked to see the Edge come to pass; if for no other reason is that throwing all that hardware at Ubuntu Mobile would have possibly hidden some of the finer details of the UX that aren't being worked on as much as other parts of that ecosystem.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
I think the second preorder campaign is related to Jolla where they can capture some of the customers who get a refund from the Ubuntu Edge
The sad thing is that except for the price the same questions also apply to a Jolla campaign.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
The sad thing is that except for the price the same questions also apply to a Jolla campaign.

What questions? What campaign? Jolla marketing is the worst I have ever seen. It's almost non existing.

I would like to see a campaign were we could pay with paypal and get the device for a great price. Let's say 299-349-399 Euro without the TShirt and the special edition other side. 48 hours only with price increasing every 12 hours.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-08-22 at 16:10.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
So what will the second campaign be about? Will they remove some of the unobtainium and make it $500? Maybe detail any of the actually useful specs?
The first batch will have more Bezel than the second campaign, so I guess I loose because I preordered now

If Jolla was capable enough, they would've started a Kickstarter/IndieGoGo a few days before the end of the Ubuntu Edge.

It would've been a simple transition for those $12M customers to shift over to Jolla.
They seem to be suffering from a lack of direction and experience, from my pov.

I'm flattered

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
If Jolla was capable enough, they would've started a Kickstarter/IndieGoGo a few days before the end of the Ubuntu Edge.

It would've been a simple transition for those $12M customers to shift over to Jolla.
They seem to be suffering from a lack of direction and experience, from my pov.
Seriously no. To me kickstarter and /indiegogo is for smaller upstart companys than Jolla. Or more risky.

I think Jolla has aleady sold out more phones on the preorder campaign that Canonical did. But I agree that Jolla needs to marketing alot more.

I definitivly take Jolla more serious than UbuntuEdge. I still don't beleive Canmonical could deliver in may next year.

Not even sure if Jolla is ready at end of this year cause of the wayland/qt5 transition.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Analysis, some info and was this for real?

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...ge-phones-data

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallace For This Useful Post:
Thanks for that, its very useful information.

Especially in contrast to Jolla efforts and other prospects. For instance, the Neo900 idea. We's be lucky to hit 5,000 backers I think. And only at a lower AND more value price. Something like $3M seems possible, anything higher simply improbable.

See my discussion here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=122

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
I just watched a video on the Virtual Ubuntu Developer Summit about the Ubuntu touch SDK and possible Windows and/or OS X support.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQ0Nzc

It amazes me how little these people seem to know about what has already been done with Qt Creator for mobile development.
They seem to have limited knowledge about the current state of the Sailfish SDK and no knowledge whatsoever about other mobile platforms that use(d) Qt creator (Maemo 5, MeeGo-Harmattan, MeeGo, Blackberry 10, Android using necessitas and current tech previews for iOS and Android).

Actually they seem to have limited knowledge about (and experience with) mobile development in general.

Does not bode well for Ubuntu Touch

The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the information. quite interesting...