Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
1. Has Nokia moved onto the next device yet?

2. Your first and last paragraphs seem at odds with each other. You appreciate what the community can do, but don't want solutions from it?
We don't know for certain, but this whole thread is about a quote from Nokia stating that meego (most likely, depends how you read into it) will not be officially packaged for the N900, and that the first Meego device (implying that the N900 will not officially run it) will be available in the second half of 2010 (implying that yes, they have moved on)

Yes I do want solutions from it, but I expected Nokia to provide the solutions themselves (bug fixes mainly)

The Following User Says Thank You to Wichall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
Coming back to the topic, I will keep my N900 and I will most probably buy the next MeeGo device, unless something better comes along...
My wife is already happy that I'm going to buy next Maemo/MeeGo device soon. She will be able to play FloboPuyo anytime she wants.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Wichall View Post
We don't know for certain, but this whole thread is about a quote from Nokia stating that meego (most likely, depends how you read into it) will not be officially packaged for the N900
The quote does not say that.

Yes I do want solutions from it, but I expected Nokia to provide the solutions themselves (bug fixes mainly)
Nokia has been fixing bugs. So has the community. Why should it matter where the fix originates?

The quote does not say that.

Nokia has been fixing bugs. So has the community. Why should it matter where the fix originates?
You're right, not in so many words. It says that Maemo itself is not upgradeable to Meego, but if Meego is going to be provided as an erase and start over install, surely the N900 would be the first device?

I don't care about Meego specifically, I care that, if this is the case and the N900 will not get Meego, then Maemo and the N900 are already losing support and development (makes sense, why else has PR1.2 taken so long to finish)

EDIT: Missed the second part. It matters because I paid to have official support and bugfixes. I didn't buy any old computer, I bought a mobile computer packaged with an OS provided by the same company, expecting that company to support it.

Last edited by Wichall; 2010-03-15 at 17:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wichall For This Useful Post:
if Meego is going to be provided as an erase and start over install, surely the N900 would be the first device?
That would make sense, and has not been ruled out. Consider that there will be a developer build of MeeGo for the N900. What does that suggest to you?

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
lol apple do things the right way. clear simple and everyone gets support. obviously the iphone is not for me but i want the support it has. this is going to be bad for resale vaule, so if your going to sell, sell now!

i still see people here in australia with old 2g iphones with new firmware. easy. btw i will still buy nokia, no dout about that and i will keep the n900. love this baby
you didn't read my reply either, good luck with the path you chose....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

That would make sense, and has not been ruled out. Consider that there will be a developer build of MeeGo for the N900. What does that suggest to you?
That there will be a developer build in order for developers to test the new OS and get their software ready for the next device that officially supports it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wichall For This Useful Post:
That point is that Maemo is evolving into MeeGo.
Yaaaay. An Evolution. that is awesome. If things don't work out as planned then so what? I don't care if meego is or isn't officially supported on the n900 because most things that make my life easier with maemo5 now, were NEVER OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED (supported meaning didn't do out of the box and/or didn't have an app for it in the ovi store). I could be wrong, but i don't think petrovich, fmms, transmission, tune wiki, joiku, various emulators and games, fapn, fm boost and others that i use often were officially supported. Even though some of this stuff was advertised and said to be on the device NOKIA did not deliver.

I feel like Nokia turned their back on me (in many ways, despite the support contributions/FW updates they do still make and have made since i purchased) so i have turned my back on them. i will never again call customer service (horrible) or expect anything other than a random forum chat on their website. If i can't find it here @ maemo.org then screw it. this place carried the phone for me since i got it. Not nokia. If nokia doesn't lift another finger i am still grateful because they already gave it the best upgrade in my opinion. making it open source and accessible to the the folks here, who are doing the heavy lifting anyway it would seem. Besides... things seem to happen faster here than via "Official Nokia Support"

Last edited by andraeseus1; 2010-03-15 at 17:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to andraeseus1 For This Useful Post:
That there will be a developer build in order for developers to test the new OS and get their software ready for the next device that officially supports it.
That's one possible (cynical) interpretation. But you blew past what I was getting at: if a developer build can run on N900, what technically stops a commercial build?

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
That's one possible (cynical) interpretation. But you blew past what I was getting at: if a developer build can run on N900, what technically stops a commercial build?
Nothing, but what stops a commercial build from a business point of view?

If the N900 can't support it, most people (except the ones that are turning their back on Nokia, we are a minority) will go out and buy the latest ("First") device that does.

Tags
fud, troll!, troll76