Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
Following a nasty problem where NITDroid kindly wiped my eMMC, I had to reflash the firmware and eMMC.

Before I did this I was able to take a DDRescue dump of the disk, from which I've been able to recover virtually all of the files from the device. These are now stored safely on my laptop (and I still have the disk image).

I don't have a backup file for these things, but I was wondering whether it is possible to transfer the following:
  • email accounts & messages
  • web browser bookmarks
  • desktop bookmarks
  • contacts
  • calendar
  • wifi connections
  • call logs (not so critical but would be handy)
  • {anything else that would be relatively easy to copy over)

Pretty much everything else I can just set up from scratch and I can figure out how to copy across configurations for extras software once I reinstall them... I just don't know how to go about doing it for the core applications in Maemo.

Can anyone help me with this one? Is there a place in the Maemo wiki/documentation that would help perhaps - I can't seem to find any info about this one.

Cheers

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
This being a linux system, i would consider copying the whole content /YourMountedLoopDd_rescueImage/home/user to the /home/user directory.
You may want to make a backup of the directory or the content to be on the safe side.
You might transfer it via USB to MyDocs/sdcard or use ssh for the copying.
Code:
mkdir /mnt/N900
mount -o loop /YourDDrescueImageHere /mnt/N900
cp -avx /mnt/N900/home/user/.[a-zA-Z0-9]* /home/user
Reboot your phone.

Last edited by michaaa62; 2011-01-27 at 10:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
Yeah, I could do that but I didn't have access to root so I don't have any files from there and a blanket copy is bound to be missing some non-optified data.

In addition to that the system had become extremely slow and unresponsive and now that I've been forced to start again I'd rather not just copy all of that back on when it's running so smoothly now

I noticed some of the databases are sqlite, I wonder whether if not a direct copy over current files it is possible to open these files and extract data? A stright overwriting of the contacts etc. is preferable though for simplicity!