Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
I found myself in a situation where I forgot the root password of my device in closed mode, and I didn't want to go through a reflash, so together with the help of merlin1991, we figured out a way to reset the root password without any "dirty tricks" like open mode or inception.

This does nothing more than a "passwd -d root" in the postinst script, and is trivial to rewrite from scratch, but just for convenience, here it is as a nice package:

Instructions: README
Binary: reset-root-password_1.0.0_all.deb
Source: reset-root-password_1.0.0.dsc and reset-root-password_1.0.0.tar.gz

On a related note (being Captain Obvious here), this also demonstrates that "setting your root password to something else than 'rootme'" does not help you in cases where you install random .debs from the Internet, so be careful out there.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Do you know if this package is also compatible with the N900 ? I guess it is, but I don't know if you introduced some kind of dependancies.

Posts: 256 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Europe
Well done, this just helped me a lot. Thanks thp.

Last edited by DarkSkies; 2012-07-04 at 17:28.

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Now in the Github Harmattan Organization: https://github.com/harmattan/reset-root-password (not that I expect much changes there, but I'm cleaning up my sdk directory right now, and pushing some long forgotten projects out to a public Git repository for easier access).