Notices

Does your mac have enough juice to handle the transcoding?
Possibly, may bust a gut doing it :-) Seriously, I'm no expert but a 1.42GHz processor should be able to handle it. Does vlc make use of AltiVec? That would help.

Hmm, quick search shows vlc cli option for dis/enabling altivec use. General remarks say it makes a big difference but others have experienced problems. So at a guess I would say the G4 mac mini should easily-ish handle transcoding. Let me know if you need help/testing.

Originally Posted by muki View Post
Hmm, quick search shows vlc cli option for dis/enabling altivec use. General remarks say it makes a big difference but others have experienced problems. So at a guess I would say the G4 mac mini should easily-ish handle transcoding. Let me know if you need help/testing.
So, are you going to try to compile the cli version or am I going to try to make the server "work" with 0.8.6?

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Sure, I can take a look at 0.9.x. May take me a little while to figure out.

No worky for me.

Mac OS 10.4.11 VLC 9.8 (download not compile). Playback error.
Transcoding throws an error in the terminal about how VLC was compiled. progress bar in the client makes no progress "-Enable release, -enable -update"

same for v.9.6

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
No worky for me.

Transcoding throws an error in the terminal about how VLC was compiled. progress bar in the client makes no progress "-Enable release, -enable -update"
Those aren't really error messages, just VLC's default output. Can you play any video or does that happen with all your videos? Can you change the log_level to 2 in config (~/.config/knots/config.yaml) and try to play some videos. Then send me the output to my email found in the about box/homepage.

One thing you can try first is to run ./scripts/update_devel and restart the server and update the client, but I doubt it helps if you can't play anything. Also I haven't tested Knots with Ruby 1.6.x which comes with Tiger so you might want to update that to the latest too.

Last edited by ukki; 2008-12-17 at 14:12.

Thanks for the reply.
I also installed the 9.6 version of VLC to eliminate that as a possibility.
I cannot play any video I tried. I'll update Ruby on the 10.4 system and see what that does and then I'll change the log level and send you the output if I'm still seeing problems.

If I understand this correctly the server ought to be doing some transcoding. If so then it definitely was not as VLC had 0 process percent.

Anyway I'll contact with logs later

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
No worky for me.

Forgot to ask, are your videos on nas or similar? You could try increasing the startup_wait value in config to something like 30 so server will wait for 30 seconds for VLC to start playing before giving up. OS X has always been the most solid os for Knots and should pretty much work out of box with the official VLC.

Small update:
- VDR changes for the upcoming 1.7 version
- VDR EPG browsing with timer adding/activating/deactivating/deleting
- New virtual category for unfinished videos
- New search function
- Remote play mode for playing the video on server and controlling it with the client (not on OS X yet)
- Possibility to run shell scripts on server
- Possibility to run external programs for chosen file types on server
- Possibility to define different categories for different clients

Last edited by ukki; 2008-12-27 at 21:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:

Tags
knots, linux, os x, streaming, video