Active Topics

Hi,
hi I'm very confused about the automatic mount of mmc cards. I have formatted as ext3 the internal 2 gb card of my n810. Now I want to mount this card automatically at boot time, in a new mount point /Root, and I added this row on fstab file:
Code:
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /Root ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro,noatime 0 0
When I boot up the sistem, if I give a mount command to see active mounted partition, I noticed that fstab row is ignored, and I have always this mount active:
Code:
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/mmc2 type ext3
This isn't in fstab...
Maybe this is mounted automatically from the program ke-recv? There is a way to avoid that system mount automatically the /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/mmc2?

Thx in advance,
Salgua

Last edited by salgua; 2008-03-20 at 16:36.

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
The N800 does ignore fstab. I opened a bug a while ago on this, and was told that fstab was not flexible enough, so they have a script (osso-mmc-mount.sh) that runs when it detects the card is available.

I suppose you could hack the script to mount your card somewhere else. Or you could take a path of lesser resistance, and just simbolically link your /Root to /media/mmc2.

Hope this helps,

Craig...

The Following User Says Thank You to cvmiller For This Useful Post:
Thx, I used a workaround using symlink.

Bye!

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
is ext3 recommended for flash cards? I'm using ext2 as I seem to remember that the ext3 journal isn't ideal for flash.

edit: and i use "noatime", too...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
ext3 + noatime + writeback is closest to ext2, but at least has automatic fsck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
interesting. and I can easily convert to ext3 by just adding a journal to my ext2 fs. I might just do that, ta.

Flash cards are better these days, but I did ordinary ext3 (with noatime) and the sectors where the journal were at ended getting errors (burnout?) after a few months with my zaurus a few years ago. I'd do jffs2 if you really need journaled files.

Posts: 159 | Thanked: 341 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by cvmiller View Post
The N800 does ignore fstab. I opened a bug a while ago on this, and was told that fstab was not flexible enough, so they have a script (osso-mmc-mount.sh) that runs when it detects the card is available.

I suppose you could hack the script to mount your card somewhere else. Or you could take a path of lesser resistance, and just simbolically link your /Root to /media/mmc2.

Hope this helps,

Craig...
Btw,

osso-mmc-mount.sh resides in /usr/sbin and can be edited to support both noatime & writeback. Just look for the ext3 part in the file and then just add after the
Code:
-t ext3
to look like this:

Code:
-t ext3 -o noatime,data=writeback
Hope that this helps as well

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
I dunno if fstab isn't flexible enough to do ext3 someone needs to tell RH real quick.

The real problem as I see it is that the ext3 modules aren't loadable by default. Not only do you need to have this in aliases and/or /etc/modprobe.d. but you also need depmod to create the depmod library so these can be loaded during startup.

This sounds like an interesting problem. I know how to get depmod etc in place. (did it for some other things) sounds like it's time to have fun, and work this one out.

the rpevious post explains why that isn't necessary: the script does it.

agreed that this is insane, and that they should be using fstab, but still, it works. I edited the script to add noatime for my ext2 partitions.