Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
there is no "fremantle for neo", and there are no plans to create a "fremantle for Neo900" - FPTF is about freeing fremantle so it can get ported to any platform you like. For now we are starting by porting it to a platform that's rather similar to N900, devels focusing on porting to other less similar platforms may or may not join in and contribute, eventually. They will be welcome anyway.
And again: apps that will get developed "for Neo900" will regularly also work on N900 (binary compatibility!) unless they depend on special features only available on Neo900, like compass, altimeter, gyroscope... Even bugfixes for the OS are applicable on both hw platforms
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-22 at 13:28.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
joewrg_rw, thanks for all your clarifications (not for your tone, here and on IRC, you know ). Now the idea behind the project seems more clear to me.

What about the idea of porting/testing Maemo on the OpenPandora? For what I've seen, the original board and the 'rebirth' version with 512 MB are pretty much the same than the N900 but without GPS and GPRS, while the new 1GHz version has the same chip that will be used on the Neo900.

By the way, kudos to jonwill for his extensive review on closed packages.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
... Now the idea behind the project seems more clear to me.
And, do you like it more now? I hope it also makes more sense now, not only more clear.
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
What about the idea of porting/testing Maemo on the OpenPandora? For what I've seen, the original board and the 'rebirth' version with 512 MB are pretty much the same than the N900 but without GPS and GPRS, while the new 1GHz version has the same chip that will be used on the Neo900. ...
Yes, seems pretty much feasible. Probably porting to pandora is almost "simple" - if you got the hw . AFAIK nobody claimed that task yet, though.

Sorry for my "tone", you know I can't do better but I also don't mean it that way.

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post: