Posts: 41 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Woodbridge, CT USA
I've installed MeeGo on my N900. It really isn't a big deal if you know how to do chroot from the command prompt. Download the tar file, unpack it, and chroot to it. However, it really doesn't do much so it's not a big deal that way either.

For more details check Configuring the Nokia #N900 Chameleon for Mer, MeeGo and Fedora

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by skalogre View Post
Err.... they could not make it any clearer. I mean, seriously.

*sigh*
Sigh. It depends on who "they" is.

Intel and Nokia Provide First MeeGo Release
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 12:55:00

wehe writes "The first fruit of the cooperation between Intel and Nokia is available: the first release of MeeGo. MeeGo is a merge of the former Maemo and Moblin Linux distros. What is available now is 'The MeeGo distribution infrastructure and the operating system base from the Linux kernel to the OS infrastructure up to the middleware layer. The MeeGo architecture is based on a common core across the different usage models, such as netbooks, handheld, in-vehicle, and connected TV.' The images available now for download are suitable for Intel Atom-based netbooks, ARM-based Nokia N900, and Intel Atom-based handset (Moorestown). RPM repositories as well as git source repositories are there for download, too."

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

See the part about developers only? I don't.

So, before you say they could't make it clearer, you could specify who "they" is.

Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Sigh. It depends on who "they" is.

Intel and Nokia Provide First MeeGo Release
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 12:55:00

wehe writes "The first fruit of the cooperation between Intel and Nokia is available: the first release of MeeGo. MeeGo is a merge of the former Maemo and Moblin Linux distros. What is available now is 'The MeeGo distribution infrastructure and the operating system base from the Linux kernel to the OS infrastructure up to the middleware layer. The MeeGo architecture is based on a common core across the different usage models, such as netbooks, handheld, in-vehicle, and connected TV.' The images available now for download are suitable for Intel Atom-based netbooks, ARM-based Nokia N900, and Intel Atom-based handset (Moorestown). RPM repositories as well as git source repositories are there for download, too."

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

So, before you say they could't make it clearer, you could specify who "they" is.
What you posted is a chunk from the Slashdot story that omitted the part about the terminal. You cannot say it was "their" fault if the user did not RTFA.

Here is the original OFFICIAL announcement:
http://meego.com/community/blogs/ima...go-development

"The downloaded images will boot from a USB stick or directly flashed on the device from your Linux PC, but since the MeeGo User Experiences for the usage models mentioned previously are not yet included in today's MeeGo core, these images will boot into terminal. "

Is that not clear?

Last edited by skalogre; 2010-04-02 at 22:50.

Posts: 171 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, uk
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
What is available now is 'The MeeGo distribution infrastructure and the operating system base from the Linux kernel to the OS infrastructure up to the middleware layer.

Pretty clear from that "they" mean an unfinished OS.. no mention of GUI or 'user experience' only OS base and infrastructure to middleware. "they" meaning i guess nokia in this case as Slashdot seem to be quoting from their press release and Slashdot may have ommitted stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to zail For This Useful Post: