Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Washington State
I've hunted and haven't found a peep about how to kgdb the kernel on an N900 device. I've soldered on a console rig for my old n810, but hope to hear that there'll be some sort of kinder accomodation for kernel debugging?

Thanks,
Andy

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vandys For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by vandys View Post
I've hunted and haven't found a peep about how to kgdb the kernel on an N900 device. I've soldered on a console rig for my old n810, but hope to hear that there'll be some sort of kinder accomodation for kernel debugging?

Thanks,
Andy
There will be... Possibly even via SIR. see my post 5 down

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-19 at 02:51.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Also, it might be better to describe the Consumer IR capability as a "learning remote" rather than "two-way", as pretty much no CIR devices support actual two-way communication.
I'd point out that the HP48 calculators all used bidirectional CIR for calculator-to-calculator and calculator-to-printer comms. Not that that's a particularly compelling use-case now, as the later flavors (HP-49G+ and HP-50G) use IrDA, (with no compatibility mode). I'm sure there's some diehards still using the HP-48, but everyone I know has moved on to the 50G -- some held off because the 49G+ had serious keyboard reliability issues, but the 50G's rock solid.

(Although there's no reason two Neo900s couldn't use it to communicate with each other...)
Yeah, but given IrDA's existence, I'm not sure if there's a benefit.

To me, a more interesting application of CIR reception (beyond the obvious learning-remote thing) is the possibility of using the Neo900 as a receiver, so you can control it with any old remote you have laying around. (e.g. while it's "docked" to your stereo halfway across the room; this was more interesting when HDMI sounded possible. )

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
To me, a more interesting application of CIR reception (beyond the obvious learning-remote thing) is the possibility of using the Neo900 as a receiver, so you can control it with any old remote you have laying around. (e.g. while it's "docked" to your stereo halfway across the room; this was more interesting when HDMI sounded possible. )
Sorry, for this to work we actually had to integrate a real CIR RX module that does the carrier decoding and has right 'color' (aka wavelength) for a semi-decent sensitivity, otherwise no use in using a remote, eh? Thanks for coming up with this use case though, I will ponder to at least add footprints for easy retrofitting of such CIR RX component.

/j

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Yeah, but given IrDA's existence, I'm not sure if there's a benefit.

To me, a more interesting application of CIR reception (beyond the obvious learning-remote thing) is the possibility of using the Neo900 as a receiver, so you can control it with any old remote you have laying around.
I dont understand the use of IRDA which nothing supports today and that never worked satisfactionary a decade ago anyway, wifi/bluetooth whatever is better, so personally i would prefer CIR rx-tx for remote and wifi for filetransfers.

LIRC supports recieving, and irreco/qtirreco uses the lirc daemon for transmitting.

Edit: clarifying...

EDIT II: asynchron response to: Last edited by joerg_rw; Today at 04:46 AM: Thanks for clarifying

Last edited by electroaudio; 2013-09-19 at 02:55.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
Personally i dont understand the use of IRDA, i would prefer CIR only.
LIRC supports recieving, and irreco/qtirreco uses the lirc daemon for transmitting.
Well, with our mighty magic we'll make the device we send to you transform - while it ships - into one that has CIR TX only, incl a rudimentary RX capability for learning ;-) All this even completely free of charge. If you actually don't want the learning function as well, we can use even more magic (involving a huge bottle of vodka and a pair of pliers) and prepare a special device for you that has CIR TX only - for that very special service we need to ask for an additional 50EUR fee though.

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-19 at 03:19.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Pun aside, please have a look at gta04.sch page 15
you'll see:
DM3730CBP100-UART3, there
(H21)TX driving the RS232 TX pin via level shifter V1501, and a LED at V1502 TX. Here goes a second parallel LED for CIR and yes we will need an additional gate or FET, to switch that LED via GPIO175
(H20)RX which receives data from a) RS232 RX (via shifter), and b) from V1502 RX which is driven by a photo diode.

cursive annotations are for Neo900 CIR enhancement.

Now for the not so obvious but nevertheless even more nifty part in all that: In fremantle/N900 UART3 is the boot console (the pads under battery) ;-)
On a sidenote: this concept is ~5 years old and been introduced by me for *original* GTA04 that never got developed but only specified and then discontinued

HTH
/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-19 at 04:04.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 75 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Uruguay
I definitely would pay not much for a 1GB version of my current 32GB phone...
But, if they put 32GB and more than 512MB of RAM, we are talking.

The Following User Says Thank You to RichardN900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Chester, CA
Give me something better than BT 2.0 and I'll be on this like white on rice.

BT 3/4.0 with aptx support, would be nice. I'd love to be able to stream 24bit flacs to a aptx compatible bt reciever, and get a spdif out to hook up to a dac.

A2DP is primitive.

The Following User Says Thank You to eleseur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eleseur View Post
I'd love to be able to stream 24bit flacs
...made from 16bit CD-Audio's

Originally Posted by eleseur View Post
to a aptx compatible bt reciever, and get a spdif out to hook up to a dac.
Why not connecting DAC to Neo900 itself? You can do it even now, with N900, via hostmode. Your digital sound will travel from N900 to DAC itself (or through any BT dongle you feel fancy).

Playing flac's through bluetooth's APTX just to convert it *back* into spdif and then into analog, at the end, is extremely silly. Even putting alone idea of having flac's upsampled to 24bit for no reason. Especially, if you're acussing a2dp of being low quality - what you're describing here is going to be much worse, because of repeated conversions. Not that you will actually hear difference between a2dp, you proposed weirdo chain, or plain stereo-out - but, if we're talking about hydrogen-audio level of audio-path perfectionism here...

Unless you add placebo effect of feeling cool, due to routing sound - back and forth - through expensive equipment. Nothing beats effect on sound quality, that it makes

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-09-20 at 04:25.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!