Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Since I couldn't post on the old thread I started this one. I cannot access any web pages on my N810 lately. Every wifi I connect to connects fine but, no page loads just "error cannot access web pages". It just happen one day out of the ordinary. I don't remember doing anything weird. Its being a couple of days but, haven't had the time to post. So, why is that my device can no longer access the internet?

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
The potential reasons that come to mind are DNS settings and a firewall blocking port 80. The 2nd is unlikely. Normally DNS is supplied when DCHP when you connect. In the Control Panel select Connections and select the SSID you want to use. If in use you'll need to disconnect. Hit the Edit button and Next until the last page which has an Advanced button. The tab for Proxies shouldn't have Use Proxy checked unless you're connecting at work and they use a proxy. The IP Addresses tab would normally have Auto-retrieve IP address: and Auto-retrieve DNS: checked. If Auto DNS isn't checked you'll be able to manually set a Primary and Secondary DNS IP. Both Auto would be the case with almost any ISP in the US.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Did you install Privoxy and set up your machine to use that as a proxy?

I just solved a friends from doing that, and just had to remind myself that I had it on my machine and had to remove it when I wanted updates or just to surf the applications...

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Make sure you don't have a stale /etc/resolv.conf lying around perhaps left by vpnc. If /etc/resolv.conf exists, remove it then touch it.

Frank

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Banul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
A couple of times I had the same problem.
Neither MicroB nor Tear found the web.

Rebooting helped.
Once I had to reinstall Tear.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Originally Posted by Frank Banul View Post
Make sure you don't have a stale /etc/resolv.conf lying around perhaps left by vpnc. If /etc/resolv.conf exists, remove it then touch it.

Frank
Thank you very much for this Frank!

Jumping from hospitals, school, home and other places, I used to have to reboot just to get a reliable connection.

Your suggestion works great.

Many thanks again Frank.