Poll: Do you think that I should try this on kickstarter?
Poll Options
Do you think that I should try this on kickstarter?

Please read carefully, I need your opinion.

We all know that N900 is a wonderful device, which does not have any rivals. The only thing which is sucks is a fact that hardware could be better comparing with modern smartphones. Unfortunately we can not upgrade hardware in our N900.

So, why don't we make a new one?
I am thinking about making our own "N900". It's possible with a kick-starter and with your help.

The " perfect n900" will have:
1. Better hardware
2. Bigger screen with multy-touch support
3. Hardware keyboard
4. Nice battery
5. Open Source Linux based OS with Android Emulator for apps. (Like in new BB10)
6. And all those things that modern smartphones have.

The main goal is to make a perfect device, which will be suitable for N900 users and for "normal users".
All I need from you guys is to answer some questions:
1. Will you buy this phone with an unknown brand ?
2. What do you want to have in this device?
3. Graphic Designers, you can make a prototype and will vote for the best one.
4. Developers, are you ready to take part in a development of new OS?

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to slayer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
If the device suits me i will buy it dont care about manufacturer edit ,,for god shake dont forget the infrared and compass or i may kill somebody ,,,,,,

Last edited by nokiabot; 2013-08-06 at 16:24.

The jolla phone should meet all those criteria except the keyboard situation is murky

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:
i have also been thinking about upgrading the n900 for a while.

when it comes to the kickstarter idea i say that we have all our supporters already in the form of members on the forum and everyone with an n900 device.

all the true supporters still have an n900 despite the problems and i think that these are the people who will drive this project forward.

could we not try raising money through the forum?

im sure that together, we can create something awesome as we already have a perfect base in the form of the n900

The Following User Says Thank You to Nikul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
The openmoko was such a project but with a weird form factor and too much starting from scratch with an undersized user/dev base, I think the openpandora made something more useful but that was made to be a game system.
Usability is a must and the N900 nailed it though it took the weird science division at Nokia 3.5 generations to make that happen, I still have an openmoko waiting for some embedded gadget project which was fun for light hacking but terrible as a phone/PDA.

I vote for adding some Vertu bits like aluminum or titanium case and synthetic sapphire crystal touchscreen(not that expensive actually), waterproof case, all of the N900 gool gadgets like FMTX, new processor, 2GB memory, NFC, digital TV decode, software defined UHF/VHF tx/rx for amateur and FRS/PMR446 radio, magnetometer, zigbee, shortwave and longwave rx with long wire antenna jack, inductive charging, dual sim, gonzo huge battery(double scud) optional, old school pager service RX on the SDR UHF/VHF set for tinfoil hat/NSA paranoid types, mesh networking via 2.4ghz wifi and packet networking via UHF/VHF, sim and SD externally accessible(if compatible with waterproof), larger size, dpad, secondary processor for dumb phone processes, e-paper display on back for ebook reader and low energy dumb phone processes.
Android is just a creepy NSA honeypot which we can't trust, we need a real geek phone again.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Maemo 5, A KEYBOARD PLEASE and a 5 inch screen!

I'm in I will Support that device in no time. Give it to me!

Plus, I love when the users can say what they want by support the device all the way from scratch.

A phone by the people, for the people!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-08-06 at 16:46.

Kickstarter will be good idea if device will be interesting for all users.
Otherwise we can use forum.
We need to combine our power to develop something new and incredibly awesome.

The current N900 troubles are lack of developers and out of dated hardware. Despite that I am still using it.

We can solve the "lack of developers" problem by integrating android emulator. Also platform will be able to run desktop apps like maemo did.

To deal with hardware problem, we can make device upgradable.
Just like PC.

Also we need to brainstorm about futures. Just tell me what you want in this device, we will make a poll and decide what to add.

The Following User Says Thank You to slayer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 383 | Thanked: 344 times | Joined on Jun 2013 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
If the device suits me i will buy it dont care about manufacturer edit ,,for god shake dont forget the infrared and compass or i may kill somebody ,,,,,,
haha ir is a must for me as I can troll anyone on public by closing tvs and changing the channels :P

I think that an updated n900 that will be made just like the newest phones(better hardware/specs etc.) it is going to be, for me, the best phone for the next 5 years for sure!
If it starts, I will try to help as much as I can

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bill_klpd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 201 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ india
sounds intresting. i won't bother to buy something which can replace N900.. brand doesn't matter..
keyboard is must for me..light weight and little slimmer..

Last edited by abhirajsoni; 2013-08-06 at 16:49.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
with keyboard yes! similar to N950 design should be fine