Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
Here we are into September and we've heard not even a rumour about a Jolla successor.
Well, given that Jolla is going to spin off it's hardware business into an entirely different company once they get the tablet out the door, I would expect that we'll have to wait until the new company gets up and running before any successor to the existing phone would be considered.

On the other hand, the Intex Sailfish phone should come out fairly soon, and hopefully other companies will come out with other Sailfish devices...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Maybe not really on-topic but is there anybody from Finland who could make clear what is in this article:
http://www.marmai.fi/uutiset/markkin...ncyyn/a2322307
seems to talk about Tim McDonald (Head at marketing at Jolla) who just left Jolla ...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Well, given that Jolla is going to spin off it's hardware business into an entirely different company once they get the tablet out the door, I would expect that we'll have to wait until the new company gets up and running before any successor to the existing phone would be considered.
On the other hand: Not long ago someone from Jolla gave a hint that a new phone might be closer than we think. Also, why did they vaguely announce the new hardware company but didn't give any details (name, when will it start operating)? One possible interpretation is that behind the curtain, things are in place for the launch of a new product by the new company because they want this company to enter the market with an actual product, not just with a press release. They need to wait for the right moment, though. And the right moment is certainly not before the tablet starts to ship.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by P@t View Post
Maybe not really on-topic but is there anybody from Finland who could make clear what is in this article:
http://www.marmai.fi/uutiset/markkin...ncyyn/a2322307
seems to talk about Tim McDonald (Head at marketing at Jolla) who just left Jolla ...
Yeah, I just read it through Google Translate before coming here.

This is more than worrying, as it says that pretty much the whole marketing team left Jolla. We already know that the CEO Tomi Pienimaki left some time ago, but the article suggests that Marc Dillon left Jolla in August as well (for a startup InvestorEye).

Tim says he doesn't want to explicitly say what's happening at Jolla, but that you can already connect the dots and as many other people were leaving, it was a good time for him to leave as well.

If there's any finnish speaker, please correct me, if Google Translate messed up...

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-09-04 at 18:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
I have no idea if Marc left Jolla but executives from one company serve on other company boards all the time, so it doesn't mean he necessarily left.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drekkie For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Yeah, I just read it through Google Translate before coming here.
If there's any finnish speaker, please correct me, if Google Translate messed up...
I guess the translation probably was fairly accurate. I tend to use translate pretty much and have found it to maybe miss some subtle undertones but usually getting the main points correctly.

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
This is more than worrying, as it says that pretty much the whole marketing team left Jolla. We already know that the CEO Tomi Pienimaki left some time ago, but the article suggests that Marc Dillon left Jolla in August as well (for a startup InvestorEye).
I get the feeling that the marketeers had done a pretty swell job, spinning a kind of shoestring-cmpaign focused like guerilla marketing for Jolla and now they joined as owning partners a startup marketing firm that is planning to run similar campaigns.
It's also mentioned that the engineering and marketing teams have been fairly separate entities in Jolla.

As for the business with Mark, it says he has started as an advisor to another startup, but not that he has left Jolla, I kind of get the impression that it is a part-time job for him.
[/QUOTE]

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
As for the business with Mark, it says he has started as an advisor to another startup, but not that he has left Jolla, I kind of get the impression that it is a part-time job for him.
However, looking at his Linkedin profile he seems to have stepped down from all Jolla roles already in July, and he lists to be board member of InvestorEye.
With the amount of work that a startup requires (and the energy that Marc usually puts into things!) I doubt that it's only a 'side job'.

The Following User Says Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
Hmmm...honestly - this all smells like the end of the story...sad.

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
Hmmm...honestly - this all smells like the end of the story...sad.
We're all developers, hardware makers, designers and crazy people like me still here; by far the end of the story. We're very busy bringing out the tablet and SailfishOS 2.0 and subsequent content to all of you.

Death of Jolla has been predicted by many but we've always kept on sailing.

The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
We're very busy bringing out the tablet and SailfishOS 2.0 and subsequent content to all of you.
Oooh, "subsequent content". That sounds interesting...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, jolla 2