hello everyone. i have opened another thread because i couldnt find my topic discussed anywhere. recently my brother bought an SGS i9000. he rooted his phone. since then he started porting different roms from differnet developers.example - DARKY ROM. these roms give his phone different functions.different interface and most importantly each has a specific advantage. one for example has an excellent battery life. other has moderate battery life but more options. is there anything like that in our beloved N900? is it possible?

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
No, Maemo 1.3 is what we use and we do not need to create a crap load of different roms.

If we want to change the colour or kernel, we just change it.
Simple as **** really!

If you want to do it automatically, build a nice small script and run it. Done and simple

Also, you do not have access to the source code of Maemo...

On a side note, I plan on building my own android rom, just because I can.

MulletDroid! Business on top and party at the back!

Edit: For ****s and giggles... Here's the image I plan to use for MulletDroid! hehehehehe

I like to hijack

Last edited by kingoddball; 2011-09-04 at 08:47.

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
I personally don't any android device but I'm assuming ROM are like custom firmwares. So they're more than just a modified kernel and/or modules with more features in the UI and what not.

If you're talking about that then no, Nokia Internet Tablets does not have ROM files, they have files in BIN and they are proprietary. So far nobody has yet managed to be able to create a custom BIN with the setup they desire.

Originally Posted by tuxsavvy View Post
I personally don't any android device but I'm assuming ROM are like custom firmwares. So they're more than just a modified kernel and/or modules with more features in the UI and what not.

If you're talking about that then no, Nokia Internet Tablets does not have ROM files, they have files in BIN and they are proprietary. So far nobody has yet managed to be able to create a custom BIN with the setup they desire.
There is a way, KIND of.
You can make the OS YOU want (mod, tweak and hack), use backup menu and create a .tar.gz of the NAND and then restore on your (or any other) N900 using backup menu (after a normal maemo install).

It's horrid, but will work

ok.dont want to do any experiment.i will just leave it

Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
There is a way, KIND of.
You can make the OS YOU want (mod, tweak and hack), use backup menu and create a .tar.gz of the NAND and then restore on your (or any other) N900 using backup menu (after a normal maemo install).

It's horrid, but will work
Or you can go a step further and convert that compressed tarball into ubifs for use with flasher. You would still need to tell flasher to install that ubifs image separately anyway

The Following User Says Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
Even better!!
Sweet! (I may look into that)

From this: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=844029&postcount=1
To this: http://mer-project.blogspot.com/2010...-for-n900.html