Active Topics

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Tokyo, Japan
to GeneralAntilles:
U might think it's hilarious but I think it's sensible to bypass an app after research that determines that the app might only be problematic, cause other problems, or leave orphan junk files around after it is uninstalled.

to mobiledivide:
I installed GPE Calendar and I must admit it does everything that I want and more and has a lot of functionality that I can't figure out yet (I guess I'll try to find a manual as there's no help function). But in true open-source style, after two minutes it hung my complete system requiring a hard reset. It has display problems and response to user input problems, which sometimes require the app to be restarted. But it is usable. But I'm still not sure if it is a keeper or another irritation that will cause me to make more negative posts here.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
What a hilariously messed up way to determine application quality. I believe this is one of the tactics Microsoft uses, actually.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by TokyoDan View Post
to GeneralAntilles:
U might think it's hilarious but I think it's sensible to bypass an app after research that determines that the app might only be problematic, cause other problems, or leave orphan junk files around after it is uninstalled.
See, but that's not anywhere close to what that statistic tells you. You do realize there's over 3000 bugs in the the Maemo bug tracker I mean, that's like, 200 times the number of bugs in the calend tracker. It must be the worst software in the world! But wait, oh god the Firefox bug tracker has over 465,000 bugs!!! With that many bugs it probably explodes your whole computer!

So, you see how useful that metric is? I'm sure you've used Firefox, and it seems to work OK, as does Maemo. The only thing that an active bug tracker indicates is that that product has an active community of people filing bugs. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality or stability of the product.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
What bothers me is that there's not much commercial level 3rd party software for the N810 (unlike the iPhone/iPod touch). What would make me feel better is if the open source movement had a simple two-tier classification system: 1. Ready for mainstream use (commercial level, NOT EVERLASTING BETA SOFTWARE). 2. Under development (not ready for commercial use). The decision to put a piece of software in category 1 or 2 could be made by a panel of open source luminaries (whoever that may be).
I wish, when browsing threads in these forums, there was a simple two-tier classification system for posts: 1. Worthy Posts; Helpful threads, interesting news, or genuine questions about software and/or hardware, and 2. Trolls and Whiners; Includes "Why I bought another device" posts, "This Sucks" posts, posts that ask for a feature or piece of software but title the thread like it was an announcement, and posts that ask questions couched in nasty, negative, or argumentative language. The decision to put a post in category 1 or 2 could be made by a panel of forum luminaries, whomever that may be.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I wish, when browsing threads in these forums, there was a simple two-tier classification system for posts: 1. Worthy Posts; Helpful threads, interesting news, or genuine questions about software and/or hardware, and 2. Trolls and Whiners; Includes "Why I bought another device" posts, "This Sucks" posts, posts that ask for a feature or piece of software but title the thread like it was an announcement, and posts that ask questions couched in nasty, negative, or argumentative language. The decision to put a post in category 1 or 2 could be made by a panel of forum luminaries, whomever that may be.
3. Questions that could have been answered with about 2 minutes of searching but instead require someone to create an entirely new thread and muddy the waters for new users looking for a single source of information.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
(Worthy Post) I totally agree, let's vote on it! (just kidding)

Last edited by Den in USA; 2008-11-17 at 23:22.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
slashdot has a decent moderation system in place.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Tokyo, Japan
Don't you idiots get it!? I am a user who is really trying to appreciate a device that I basically love and think is superior. But the current state of 3rd software won't let me!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TokyoDan For This Useful Post:
Don't you idiots get it!? I am a user who is really trying to appreciate a device that I basically love and think is superior. But the current state of 3rd software won't let me!
I was really on the fence with this thread. I could feel both sides. I just thought that you were just having issues articulating your point, but really dude? You had to go there? There was no need for that. <rant> While I overstand that you can become passionate when talking about something, in the end its just a gadget that we own. I have always followed the thinking that you should never talk politics or religion. I think it has become a sad state of affairs when people become zealots over things. Relax. Seriously. And before you try to go off on me or anyone else, you can't 'cyberthug' (damnit you made me use air quotes. I HATE air quotes) me. If you feel over strong or feel I have insulted you we can settle it like men or real thugs, but I don't play the whole flame game.
I love my 810 just as much as the next guy and since I'm not a coder, the only way I can see to improve the state of a project I am interested in is to submit gigs and give feedback based on my usage. So either deal with it, make something better or move on to something else, but either way take a deep breath and chill the fcuk out.
To evryone on the board allow me to apologize if I have offended anyone with my comments but I am getting tired of leaving forums because the degenerate into a place where genuine issues can't be discussed due to a bunch of people that can only rag on others work. I don't care if your app is the most simple and bug ridden thing in the world. Keep at it and know that at least one person appreciates your efforts. </rant>

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
Originally Posted by TokyoDan
Don't you idiots get it!?
Ah... after only 16 posts in your thread, you've hit upon the number one tactic in gaining support for your position; start personally berating those that endeavor to participate in your conversation.

I shall endeavor to remember your screen name, lest I accidentally help you or provide an answer you seek, only to be insulted in return.

My mom told me not to feed the animals. But I never listened 'cause I think it's funny when the apes fling their poo. Behind plexiglas of course.