Hello everyone.
Messed up the file /etc/fstab in my n900. Now the device does not boot. The question may be whether or how to access the rootfs?

Saw a lot of topics about the recovery mode, but all methods are made on the phone working, and I do not fit.
I tried the same MeeGo rescue initrd, but it is only available mmc memory.

I do not want to reflash, since only need to adjust /etc/fstab in its root fs. But how to access it?

Thanks..

do you have backup menu installed?

If not you need to reflash I suppose.

Originally Posted by EuPhobos View Post
Hello everyone.
Messed up the file /etc/fstab in my n900. Now the device does not boot. The question may be whether or how to access the rootfs?

Saw a lot of topics about the recovery mode, but all methods are made on the phone working, and I do not fit.
I tried the same MeeGo rescue initrd, but it is only available mmc memory.

I do not want to reflash, since only need to adjust /etc/fstab in its root fs. But how to access it?

Thanks..
you can't mess fstab on n900 as it is autogenerated so maybe you have another problem. Or unless you modified genfstab.awk?

Yes i modified genfstab.awk for take change to fstab..
And no, i no have backup menu installed, but i solve the problem by installing on MicroSD meego 1.2 and get access to ubifs, then fix fstab.
My problem is complicated by the fact that there is no ready solutions or rescue image. Plus the hard way to get the access to ubufs. Plus no backup menu, and no backup NAND memory to reflash n900 by my own backup image.
I spent 2 days to find solution and solve my problem. Now it's solved, thank you for reply, now i be more more cautious and attentive =)

The Following User Says Thank You to EuPhobos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Arizona, USA
HELP HELP HELP!!
I have the same issue, but I don't know much about it. I believe messed up my fstab trying to flash my device after it stopped functioning. The device kept showing the white Nokia screen and wrote "System Malfunction ..." in green every time I tried to turn it on. After I flashed ignoring the few errors I got, the device powered on without any memory at all. My /home is 12.5 MB and I do not have MyDocs. Now, I cannot flash EMMC, and flashing FIASCO does me no good.
PLEASE HELP ME

In my problem, i messed up fstab by own hand, and restore it installing MeGoo(not rescue) on flash, then get access to rootfs.
My aim was not flashing the phone.
So my problem is solved.

In your case to access emms, better use, again, MeGoo, installed on MicroSD card, and boot phone on meego using usb and flasher, then get access to emmc or rootfs.
The easy way is complete reflash you phone, but you lost any data.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by Brad_M View Post
HELP HELP HELP!!
I have the same issue, but I don't know much about it. I believe messed up my fstab trying to flash my device after it stopped functioning. The device kept showing the white Nokia screen and wrote "System Malfunction ..." in green every time I tried to turn it on. After I flashed ignoring the few errors I got, the device powered on without any memory at all. My /home is 12.5 MB and I do not have MyDocs. Now, I cannot flash EMMC, and flashing FIASCO does me no good.
PLEASE HELP ME
If you have already flashed rootfs, this means that your N900's eMMC is broken (probably fallen off the solder balls.)