Originally Posted by peio View Post
On your PC, create a jabber account with PSI
Then, connect to your msn account via your new jabber account (there is a "gateway" option somewhere, I don't remember exactly). The thing is that when you create your jabber account, you have to choose a jabber server, and they don't all allow to connect to your msn account. I chose "binaryfreedom.info" and it works.

You should see all your msn contact appear in PSI

Then, just connect to your jabber account on the N900, and it works
I have created an account like you said its ******@binaryfreedom.info with a password, Now when i try to connect it using the following settings, I am not able to connect N900 to the jaber server and my status is "not signed In":

User Name: ******@binaryfreedom.info
Password: ******
Screen Name: *****
Connect to server: binaryfreedom.info
Force old SSL: Checked
Port: 5223 (Default)
Ignore SSL certificate errors: Checked
Resource: binaryfreedom.info
STUN server: <empty>
STUN port: 3478 (Default)

Any guesses where I am wrong?

Last edited by imdev; 2009-12-22 at 15:32.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Erm... try disabeling force old ssl. Resource usually isn't the server but the client you are using... Since you can have multiple clients and people can generally pick the one to send to. Or you can even assign priorities to each resource.

ok guys i finally got it. i did nothing extra. i just tried to connect after two days and it connected instantly. what seems to be the reason is propagation of my id on all the jabber servers. once my id is sychronized i got connected.

thank you all guys for the help.

I got it to work using binaryfreedom, do you think this would use less battery than say the plugins such as haze/butterfly?

Do you get spam msgs from random accounts or does it only allow msgs from ppl on ur contact list?

I have a question regarding transport gateways.

I have a jabber account a one of the Jabber servers. Via a desktop client added the msn gateway.

On the Jabber account setup on the N900 the only way I could get msn contacts to show up for the first time was by connecting to server msn.[someJabberServer.blah]

Should this be the case or should I be able to just put the base Jabber server name [someJabberServer.blah] and depending what transports/gateways I have registered all contacts show automatically?

Posts: 158 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by darlomrh View Post
I have a question regarding transport gateways.

I have a jabber account a one of the Jabber servers. Via a desktop client added the msn gateway.

On the Jabber account setup on the N900 the only way I could get msn contacts to show up for the first time was by connecting to server msn.[someJabberServer.blah]

Should this be the case or should I be able to just put the base Jabber server name [someJabberServer.blah] and depending what transports/gateways I have registered all contacts show automatically?
Just use the main server, like myjabberserver.com and not msn.myjabberserver.com. They should show up in to your n900 if you have been registered those gateways first in pc.

The Following User Says Thank You to jsomby For This Useful Post:
just for anyone looking for an update, i had no luck with the server binaryfreedom.info . a quick search on jabber servers told me that binaryfreedom's MSN servers were down for a bit.

i went through a few, and recommend jabber.sk server. little downtime and it loads my MSN contacts on jabber beautifully.

using jabber instead of pidgin or haze hopefully reduces battery usage, i'll be monitoring and will report back!

Neko.im works good for me.

Interesting thought here -- would consolidating IM accounts via XMPP (jabber) be significantly more power efficient than independent clients?

There was talk elsewhere of one issue being with 3G data that once the radio is on it needs to stay on for 5-10s. If all the IM clients are unsynchronized this could lead to heavy power usage?

So if either
- XMPP provided an element of aggregation making the data exchange a little less frequent
OR
- data access was synchronized

then power consumption might improve

I've found jabber to be the most power efficient way to get msn etc, on the N900.

The only thing driving me nuts is all the spam messages, is there any way to only receive messages from people on ur contact list when using jabber?