Originally Posted by bobonobo View Post
I had sympathy for the Finland techie guys, but their authistic approach towards the n900 users is a huge turn-off. My next phone will be an Iphone. It may be commercial, it may be slick, but they do 1 thing good at Apple: keep an eye on the usability of their products for their customers. The mystery and lack of focus in the Nokia market strategy is incredible. So much noise around the introduction of the N900. And now they drop it, can't make it happen, don't know where to go and get lost in their own belly button. A classic misser: making promises but not making them happen.
WOW! dude you'll be bombarded by the fanboys now..ow dare you talk about apple.

Originally Posted by junooni View Post
WOW! dude you'll be bombarded by the fanboys now..ow dare you talk about apple.
The only tool here is you. By and large he is right.

Unlike some people on the forums these past two days, he's not trolling.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
n900, IMHO, is a developer phone, most of the hundreds of apps are from developers and not from super famous companies like "Gameloft" in terms of games.

i only knew about the n900 from a blog! not from any commercial.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

The Following User Says Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
The only tool here is you. By and large he is right.

Unlike some people on the forums these past two days, he's not trolling.
K here goes the first one, who else??

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
This isn't meant to be a rant, this is just pointing the obvious of yet another "Nokia not supporting the N900". Why isn't the N900 included in this offer?

http://www.nokia.co.uk/services-and-...-19-navph2_101
Why it is not included in that offer? Godīs sake:
"...Nokia's new navigation optimised phones include Ovi Maps with free voice-guided turn-by-turn navigation..."
Because N900 is not navigation optimised (whatever that means?) and it doesn't have at least free voice-guided turn-by-tun navigation. Also itīs not symbian based and as we have seen it has totally different version of Ovi maps than what Symbian phones have. Sucks? Yes. Why you even ask. That advertisement just shows that even Nokia understands that navigation on N900 is bare minimum what you can expect.

Originally Posted by bobonobo View Post
they do 1 thing good at Apple
Marketing

Enjoy your iPhone - it's a great device. It's not an n900, and you can't do any open development on it, but it is a great consumer device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Marketing

Enjoy your iPhone - it's a great device. It's not an n900, and you can't do any open development on it, but it is a great consumer device.
Yap, marketing. But marketing is not always a filthy word, is it? It can be "abused", but it can also be beneficial for the mutual understanding between customer and manufacturer. I appreciate open development. I am reasonably satisfied with my n900. But I find it really incredible that turn by turn navigation isn't provided, while provided free on Symbian phones. If Sygic can deliver, why can Nokia not bring Ovi Maps with turn by turn nav free to the n900? It's this nonchalance or indifference (or simply lack of communication in case they are doing a really really really briljant job on the background which requires a littlebit more time than normal...) that is disturbing (as well as the lack of focus in operation systems: Symbian, Maemo and now Meego is the buzzword)

Hardware- and OS-wise, the n900 has the potential to be the " iphone-killer". But it is Nokia's own strategic decision making which fails to deliver (and which fails to inspire).

The Following User Says Thank You to bobonobo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Planet Earth for now!
Curious? What did people do before google maps or turn by turn navigation? The lack of directional navigation in the human race is amazing; reminds me of the Ozzy Osbourne commercial were he has to use his phone to find the bathroom? north is north, south is south, in the history of mankind that hasn't changed, and won't!! You purchased this phone knowing it didn't have; but yet you bought it anyways? Make you a deal I'll buy your phone off of you for $50.00 bucks, would pay more but it doesn't have navigation and plus its used and it doesn't have any fart apps for it, deal?
Yeah didn't think so!

Thank you and come again.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by AgentZ View Post
Curious? What did people do before google maps or turn by turn navigation? The lack of directional navigation in the human race is amazing; reminds me of the Ozzy Osbourne commercial were he has to use his phone to find the bathroom? north is north, south is south, in the history of mankind that hasn't changed, and won't!! You purchased this phone knowing it didn't have; but yet you bought it anyways? Make you a deal I'll buy your phone off of you for $50.00 bucks, would pay more but it doesn't have navigation and plus its used and it doesn't have any fart apps for it, deal?
Yeah didn't think so!

Do the same argument apply to the other 8 Nokia phones that were mentioned in that offer?

Do you see the OP's point now?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
Originally Posted by AgentZ View Post
Yeah didn't think so!

I have to agree here. I would like the turn-by-turn navigation on the N900, but it is not the end of the world that it is missing. I had it on my last phone (Bing on a WinMo phone) and it was very nice even though it didn't talk. But I primarily used (and still use) the better one suction cupped to the windshield of my car (which I got for less than $100 on woot.com). My wife has it on her Blackberry and we NEVER use it.

The N900 has a great camera, a great browser, lots of memory, a high resolution screen, true multitasking, and can connect to anything. Anyone can write apps for it in standard languages like Python or C++/QT or C/GTK and distribute them without permission from anyone. Any other phone you buy (including the iPhone) is a major downgrade on all of those points. I am fine with occasionally getting lost if that is the tradeoff for having something this powerful in my pants (I'm referring to the phone here).

Tags
bourdain got a, butt shafting