Closed Thread
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
sorry for my english too

- nothing is proposed for the short-term. And even worst: there is now less short-term perpective than a week ago: Symbian could have kept maybe 15 to 20% of the market at the end of 2011. Now this is possible that Symbian will become marginal quickly.

- the long-term is doubtfull.

So share prices is going down and it will continue for sure.
Especially because in the finance, I guess that what is the most important is the short-term. They do not care too much if Nokia succeed in two or three years with WP.

And I am pretty sure that Elop is not too much surprised about the decrease. How come it could have been different: they announce a new partnership with nothing in hands (except image of a concept phone). In the mean time, their leading platform is going to die with only two hopes: most consumers will not know that + mobile operators will keep subsidize their coming symbian phones (and it will be the case if they prefer M$ to Google). That is still a crazy challenge but Nokia has good relations with operators.

However I think that a proposal with Android would have been more or less the same for the finance. Because what is the most important is that Nokia has nothing to show and to sell with their committed main partner.

The fact that they announce it now comes probably from M$. The announcement is helping current sell and attraction of WP7. And Nokia had to say it because otherwise, there was a possibility that they had become too small (think about 2012) to be a strong partner for M$: remember that Nokia will sell services to M$.
And if WP7 is selling well in 2011, it is probably a good sign for Nokia sales for 2012.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
the problem is that almost all other vendors presenting phones. PHONES. and nokia don't presenting any device. OK, they have E7 ready. But nothing else. the market see that and understand the before they start presenting some phones, its impossible to get back in the game.

Several vendors are close to dual-core, that is great and will diferance them against other vendors. Sonyericsson presenting a PLAY, gaming device. that will give them something special. Nokia had Meego that could have given them somthing speciall, but instead ignored that and turned to MS. Now, we have to wait even logner for nokia to present something new. (and i dont even count the new meego phone they are talking about)
A year from now and nokia just might present something.

Auspicious beginning of new week on Nordic exchange. *Only* 4% down and still diving :>

And pre-market on NYSE is similar.

Last edited by vvaz; 2011-02-14 at 13:37. Reason: add nyse info

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
How many of you were/are investors? I remember that when some of us were pointing and saying, 'This isn't good', looking at the stock and at the market shares, the reaction was something along the lines of standing up to say they owned stock and believed it was a solid investment and that the numbers didn't include Asia and other markets as if those markets would float the company along just fine, ignoring the failures in the rest of world and especially in North America and even within Europe. Is this still the case?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Check this: Analyst Says U.S. Investors Are Short Selling Nokia Stock.

I wouldn't be surprised if those US investors were the very same that blackmailed Nokia's board to elect the MS goon.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
How many of you were/are investors? I remember that when some of us were pointing and saying, 'This isn't good', looking at the stock and at the market shares, the reaction was something along the lines of standing up to say they owned stock and believed it was a solid investment and that the numbers didn't include Asia and other markets as if those markets would float the company along just fine, ignoring the failures in the rest of world and especially in North America and even within Europe. Is this still the case?
I bought at 8.28 or so, sold out at 10.40 or so. Saw this trainwreck coming, got out.

Will be doing their products the same way.

The next 6 months will be very very dark for Nokia. According analyst, Market's shares will be like this:

Here is what the smartphone market shares will look like in Ahonen's estimates:

Brand . . . . . . . . . . . Q4 2010 . . . . . . . . Q4 2011
Nokia . . . . . . . . . . . 28% . . . . . . . . . . . 12%
Apple . . . . . . . . . . . 16% . . . . . . . . . . . 19%
RIM . . . . . . . . . . . . 14% . . . . . . . . . . . 18%
Samsung . . . . . . . . 11% . . . . . . . . . . . 14%
HTC . . . . . . . . . . . . 10% . . . . . . . . . . . 12%
SonyEricsson . . . . ...5% . . . . . . . . . . . .6%
Motorola . . . . . . . . . 5% . . . . . . . . . . . ..5%
Others . . . . . . . . . ...11% . . . . . . . . . . . 13%

Source: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nokia...dustry_id16865

Last edited by gruik; 2011-02-17 at 15:41.

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
That is why they had to change their ways.

That is why you don't EoL something without having its sucessor ready and providing your customers a transition path.

Elop's handling of the "strategic change" will go down in history as a textbook case of how not to do such an announcement.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
That is why you don't EoL something without having its sucessor ready and providing your customers a transition path.
This about the N900?

Elop's handling of the "strategic change" will go down in history as a textbook case of how not to do such an announcement.
No doubt.

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen