Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Since a few days ago we have been on our own and having a body that it's main function is to communicate with Nokia no longer serves a purpose. Another body with similar functionality is however provisioned by the ByLaws of the Hildon Foundation. We need to set up election rules for this new body (Hildon Foundation Council) and transform Maemo Community Council to Hildon Foundation Council.

The Maemo Community Council election rules ( http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Coun...ection_process ) are a good base to start with, but they have a drawback: While there is a provision to avoid unelected members for less than 5 members, this provision does not cover the actual number five resulting in all 5 candidates to be appointed councillors (what has currently happened). This should be corrected and the clause "If fewer than 5 candidates stand for election, the 3 with the most votes are elected to the council. " must be changed to "...fewer than or equal to five...". For the same reason, the clause "If there are fewer than 3 candidates when the nominations close, the election cannot be held. " must be changed to "...fewer than or equal to three...".

Thus, a referendum is called with the following question:

In order to repair special cases in MCC rules, and bring them into alignment with HFC rules, the following: (MCC Rule List*) Shall become (HFC Rule List*), and the Maemo Community Council will from now on be transformed into Hildon Foundation Council. Yes or No?

*For the full list of changes between MCC Rule List and HFC Rule List see: http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Coun...les_referendum

(Since this referendum should be resolved before the upcoming Council elections, if it passes it will apply to the upcoming election.)

[Posted by Mentalist Traceur on behalf of Council, credit to qwazix for writing the actual post text.]

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2013-03-22 at 20:31.

The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
No changes to first post pending.

After having mailing list troubles (many thanks to warfare (Falk Stern) for fixing it) referendum finally sent to community mailing list at 22:02:58 UTC on 2013-03-24.

- Edit 2013-03-28 -

This post is a helpful summary of what this referendum means.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2013-03-28 at 18:14. Reason: Referendum finally hit mailing list.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
This thread deserves a bump.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Not a single post from anyone ? I agree that Maemo Community Council should be trasnsformed into Hildon Foundation Council.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Complete community fatigue. Nonstop politics, interminable long posts, drama, more plot points & characters than a daytime soap opera, etc. have probably burned everyone completely out & left most folks with no desire to even look at another political thread.

Good time to stage a coup, while the population is politically disengaged.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
Not a single post from anyone ? I agree that Maemo Community Council should be trasnsformed into Hildon Foundation Council.
It's hard for me to write anything. I think that we only need one coucil - connected with maemo and this community, as there are no other things to council at the moment and no other things to talk to HiFo board at the moment.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
It's hard for me to write anything. I think that we only need one coucil - connected with maemo and this community, as there are no other things to council at the moment and no other things to talk to HiFo board at the moment.
it was hard for me to but have to suggest/write something as its for the future of Maemo Community. I also think the same. Maemo Community Council is enough. May be i'm wrong but 2 councils are not really needed.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
I'll bump the thread with this message: http://youtu.be/g9Dgip2w5qs?t=2m20s

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
I was always under the impression there was only one "council". The name doesn't bother me, whether it stays MCC or is called HFC, but only one council is needed at this time IMO.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California
What fw190 said.

Tags
voting