Active Topics

Interesting thing about Intel is that they actually mentioned Jolla by name in their press release for Atom X3 chip. Also, AFAIK Jolla has somewhat close relationship with Intel in their tablet venture, so I wouldn't be surprised if next Jolla branded phone was powered by Atom X3 chip. Dr. Saarnio's remark about having something for Jolla fans (outside India) and direct reference in TJC discussion to next product after Jolla Tablet at least indicates that there will be more devices in the pipeline, not only for reference. As Atom X3 is aimed to value segment, it should make a nice addon and alternative to Qualcomm chips for Sailfish.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I would also want to get rid of google **** play. Problem is as enduser we need it since for example I can't pay my bills without downloading that damn swedish bankid. And guess what? Such stuff is only available on Google play or Apple store yes thats madness but reality whatever we like it or not.
My workaround for that was to download it on one of my Android devices and then use "APK Extractor" to copy the APK file to dropbox. Then download from dropbox on the Jolla and usually it works as long as the app itself doesn't require Google Play Services.

However, bank apps are weird. I'd be concerned if they required Play Services but usually they also detect the Jolla as being rooted and banks don't seem to allow rooted devices.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
My workaround for that was to download it on one of my Android devices and then use "APK Extractor" to copy the APK file to dropbox.
Much easier way is to use Evozi APK Downloader or similar on Jolla. It works just fine with stock Jolla browser. Just enter the package name or Google Play URI and generate a download link.

No need to use an Android device, Dropbox or any additional apps.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Valker For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Some of my latest dreamings/musings sent to Jolla, I don't expect it to ever happen...

You guys should srsly consider making your next phone phablet size i.e. approx. 5.7". There's a tonne of Galaxy Note neckbeards who are about to be alienated from Samsung over the next 12mth. Samsung has decided to go the "Apple way" & remove mSD, removable battery, & also go with a more premium but fragile build-quality.

Thanks to your Tablet efforts, you would be much better prepared for a large Phone. In a masterfully crafted crowfunding initiative, you should pitch WQHD/QHD display (leave it for you to decide on LCD or OLED), the fastest possible built-in NAND (UFS 2.x or at least the latest/greatest eMMC), & the latest/greatest mSD standard.

SoC will leave to you guys, x86 or ARM, preferably ARM, but x86 has (slowly but surely) been getting increasingly competitive. And ofc it should be a "world-phone", compatible on as many cellular bands as possible, & uses the latest/greatest cellular standards.

Then you should add just 1 perk: "Active Digitiser" i.e. like the Note's S-pen*. I wouldn't add any other perks, as that's more than enough to focus on & "get right". You would of course keep "TOH" feature, but it may have to remain as neglected as it was with the J1 (i.e rely on the community to step-up if/when it can), but you'd probably upgrade it's interface as I2C's too limiting.

Longer term you'd also try to implement a "Continuum" feature, like we're seeing coming to Win10Mobile & a similar implementation coming to UbuntuTouch (i.e bridge the divide between Mobile & Desktop), but that may be beyond your meagre resources.

Reading between the lines there's very little money left for your device making business, so you'd probably have to rely almost entirely on a well crafted crowd-funding initiative, one which avoids promises/user_expectations jumping too far ahead of what you can deliver. The core specs I've suggested aren't "pie in the sky", especially if we're talking about a phone that's not shipping till this time next year -or later.

Whaddya think?
*MS is also expected to release a Phablet device in Nov/Dec this year, it supposedly uses a digitiser very similar to the Surface Pro 3 i.e. "excellent"

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Some of my latest dreamings/musings sent to Jolla, I don't expect it to ever happen...
You lost me at the 5.7 inch screen.

And to think that someone at jolla could be putting my tablet in a box instead of reading this.....

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tommo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tommo View Post
You lost me at the 5.7 inch screen.
I said approximately 5.7, I only suggest that as it could be an opportunity, given the way a large section of the phablet community's headed.

And to think that someone at jolla could be putting my tablet in a box instead of reading this.....
Well, there's no need to be so rude;
It's a thread where people can freely post some random thoughts about approaches they could take, not to insult participants for doing that.

A constructive post here would be;
Express why you agree/disagree/indifferent with each of my points, or, add your own (different) set of things you'd like them to consider.

There's no expectation they be using huge amounts of their time reading this thread, in fact they more than likely won't be.

Last edited by jalyst; 2015-08-12 at 09:40. Reason: typo

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

There's no expectation they be using huge amounts of their time reading this thread, in fact they more than likely won't be.
But you said that you have sent this to jolla, meaning they won't have to read this thread because you have sent it to them.

Anyway, good luck with with your dream phone, maybe jolla will produce jolla note S 2

The Following User Says Thank You to tommo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tommo View Post
But you said that you have sent this to jolla, meaning they won't have to read this thread because you have sent it to them.
I think we all worked out long ago (since the inception of the thread really) that this thread isn't really for them, it's just for general chit-chat around the topic.

Ideas get bounced around, agreed with, disagreed with, some folks decide to also approach them directly via official channels, some don't etc.
And some employees (~2) occasionally pop in & take on-board some of the ideas, or don't...

Anyway, good luck with with your dream phone, maybe jolla will produce jolla note S 2
It's not my "dream phone", just some random/rough thoughts, nothing "hard & fast" about it...
Anyway we digress too much, lets get back to dissecting what I posted, or posting some of your own similar or completely different ideas.

Last edited by jalyst; 2015-08-12 at 06:30.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Well, I scanned through this in my RSS feed and somehow knew it was you

Something for the HW division/company to consider I guess. We still don't know what kind of funding/resourcing they'll have. Maybe somebody is willing to invest a fair amount of millions and we get a proper device selection?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Something for the HW division/company to consider I guess. We still don't know what kind of funding/resourcing they'll have. Maybe somebody is willing to invest a fair amount of millions and we get a proper device selection?
Could be several millions, or could be less. There's not really that big a difference between a phone and a phablet, and just a short hop from a tablet to a phablet

Jolla has already demonstrated that crowdfunding works with a tablet device so a phone is just 2 hops away...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, jolla 2