Active Topics

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
Originally Posted by MisterMaster View Post
Well Jolla is now two companies. One for software and one for hardware. And they want to make also something else than just phones and tablets.

http://www.digitoday.fi/bisnes/2015/...n/201510380/66
I heard rumours from friend in Samsung that Jolla have had atleast some kind of conversations with Oculus VR... Dunno

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Just wondering is there really a Jolla 2 on the line? There seems no evidence unless I missed. At least not for this year. If they target for the end of year they much finalise the design and start mass manufacturing now. But there is no sign of anything related with Jolla 2 at all...

The Following User Says Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Ah, yeah, I had forgotten that Google is turning into Microsoft. Drat. Still, Google doesn't seem to have gotten its claws completely into the big phone manufacturers; I see that Samsung and HTC have WP-based phones available...
Having WP phones available has nothing to do with it!
Google could not deny to license Android to a manufacturer that has alternate OS'es available, that'd be pretty difficult to pull in any court!

What they can do, however, is to deny to license Android-proprietary-pieces (Google Play and the s**t that comes with it) to manufacturers that take Android and hack it to work without Google Play, like Jolla has done with Alien Dalvik.

There's no danger to any manufacturer that just offers Sailfish, meaning pure Sailfish without Android compability.
It is the Android compability that rubs the big-G wrong way, not any OS by itself.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Alternative OS = no more Google Play OS?
Has that been confirmed to be the case.
Not alternative OS, but alternative OS that is compatible with Android.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Having WP phones available has nothing to do with it!
Google could not deny to license Android to a manufacturer that has alternate OS'es available, that'd be pretty difficult to pull in any court!

What they can do, however, is to deny to license Android-proprietary-pieces (Google Play and the s**t that comes with it) to manufacturers that take Android and hack it to work without Google Play, like Jolla has done with Alien Dalvik.

There's no danger to any manufacturer that just offers Sailfish, meaning pure Sailfish without Android compability.
It is the Android compability that rubs the big-G wrong way, not any OS by itself.
This is true, but there isn't any Android compatibility layer (Alien Dalvik) on Jolla when it's shipped, is there?
I wonder if the other manufacturers could do the same without breaking the Google Play Services license agreement...

I also heard some rumors about a similar compatibility layer on the next Windows Phone/Mobile, so things could get quite interesting in the future (or it could kill Windows Phone/Mobile once and for all ).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
BlackBerry, Jolla, Tizen and WP are getting into trouble if Google denies those layers.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
This is true, but there isn't any Android compatibility layer (Alien Dalvik) on Jolla when it's shipped, is there? I wonder if the other manufacturers could do the same without breaking the Google Play Services license agreement...
I wouldn't be surprised of El Goog's massive arsenal of legal power, can find a way to successfully argue it's been broken.

I also heard some rumors about a similar compatibility layer on the next Windows Phone/Mobile, so things could get quite interesting in the future (or it could kill Windows Phone/Mobile once and for all ).
Yup: http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ls-leaked.html
But there's LOTS of misinfo. floating about on it's true purpose, & how exactly it's meant to work.
Some good doco out there amongst the noise, may eventually play with it on my 1020...
So many other priorities though, so not likely to do it before I replace it with their up coming flagship "Cityman" (rumoured to be called 950XL).

Last edited by jalyst; 2015-08-25 at 18:26. Reason: typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
This is true, but there isn't any Android compatibility layer (Alien Dalvik) on Jolla when it's shipped, is there?
I wonder if the other manufacturers could do the same without breaking the Google Play Services license agreement...

Also, KDE are working on a project called Shashlik, which intends to bring an Android compatibility layer to Linux.

It's very early days yet, so who knows whether it'll pan out, or whether it'll be feasible to run it on a phone. But that would muddy the waters even further...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Bluestacks for Windows has existed for a long time now, too.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Here we are into September and we've heard not even a rumour about a Jolla successor. I am sure the tablet release is the focus now, but I am rapidly losing patience with the usability of my Jolla (lack of RAM for multi-tasking mainly).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, jolla 2